Starry setting makes Orchesis dance performance unique

Luke Rolfes

Saturday evening will be a Starry Night in two regards. Besides the balls of hydrogen burning billions of miles away, The dance club Orchesis I will be presenting its annual spring performance at 7:30 p.m. on Central Campus.

The free dance exhibition will take place south of the campanile and is titled “Starry Night.”

Jill Elgin, graduate student in business administration, says Orchesis has not had an outdoor performance for some time, which makes this year’s exhibition unique.

“I think it’s a different type of concert, because it’s outdoors, ” says Elgin. “It will be a really entertaining performance; something out of the ordinary.”

The performance is sponsored by the FOCUS Arts Committee.

“Starry Night” will feature more than 25 dancers, who belong to Orchesis, performing eight different dances. The inspiration for the dances comes from the astronomical skies above: eclipses, stars, black holes and constellations.

The performance will feature a variety of music and several different styles of dance, though most is modern (a less-structured combination of ballet and jazz) and contemporary dance. Improvisational and lyrical dance will also be demonstrated.

Elgin says some students have done research with the Astronomy Department to bring more life and fact to their interpretive choreography.

“It will be an educational performance,” Elgin says. “Some of the choreographers are asking for explanation of their pieces before their performances.”

Orchesis members are hoping to feature the latter dances in association with a twilight lit sky, in order to bring out the “Starry Night” theme even more.

Some of the later performing dancers will use glow-sticks in their performances, for an luminous display.

According to Orchesis performance liaison Jaime Jo Weeden, junior in early childhood education, students should take a break from studying for finals to come and experience “Starry Night.”

“I think people should come because it is a great opportunity to release and enjoy the weather,” Weeden says.

Attendees can bring their own lawn chairs and blankets. If the weather is unfavorable, “Starry Night” will be held in Room 196 of Forker Hall.