Procrastinators have last-minute tax help available

April 15, the deadline for filing individual tax returns, is quickly approaching, leaving last-minute filers under pressure.

Students who have left filing tax forms until the last week before the deadline have helpful options available.

The Financial Counseling Clinic, located in the Palmer Building, is available to students who need help completing forms.

“We get quite a few students with questions about tax forms,” said Mark Oleson, director of the Financial Counseling Clinic. “We’re mostly here to answer specific questions.”

Beta Alpha Psi National Accounting Fraternity is also sponsoring a Volunteer Income Tax Assistance program. Through the program, student volunteers answer questions and help prepare basic tax returns for low-income taxpayers.

“We answer common questions relating to out-of-state students, things that involve multiple states and also international students,” said Abby Thayer, president of Beta Alpha Psi.

Volunteer Income Tax Assistance is being offered from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m., April 8-11, as well as April 15 on the lower level of the Parks Library.

“There has been a great response this year,” said Thayer, senior in accounting. “We have two volunteers each night and both have kept very busy.”

Certified public accountants are also an available resource to help people prepare tax forms.

Sue Bjorkgren, accountant for Klatt & Associates of Ames, 617 Duff Ave., said they get many procrastinators as deadline time approaches.

“At this point we tell them we can’t make any guarantees,” Bjorkgren said. “Not everyone can wait until the last minute.”

Bjorkgren said students are less likely to turn to an accountant for assistance because of fees, but they still ask questions about students and tax forms.

“The big thing with students in college is whether their parents claim them as dependents or if the student is alone,” Bjorkgren said. “The question concerning tuition credits comes up a lot.”

The Memorial Union Post Office will not extend hours and pick-up times.

Ames’ main post office, 525 Kellogg Ave., has offered pick-up times until midnight to help filers make the deadline.

If students have yet to pick up a tax return, the forms are available at both the Parks Library and the Ames Public Library, 515 Douglas Ave., through April 15.