Fashion show transmits student styles, designs

Luke Rolfes

A student-run production called “Transmission” will show audiences just how stylish ISU students can be, in an event bubbling with creativity, music and glamour.

The 20th annual ISU University Textiles and Clothing Fashion show takes self-expression through clothing to a new level on Friday and Saturday at Fisher Theater.

According to co-producer Kari Zevenbergen, junior in apparel merchandising, design and production, the crew is working hard to make the fashion show into a professional production.

“It’s nothing like a fashion show you would normally see in Iowa,” Zevenbergen said. “We have professional judges, a professional lighting designer and a lot of students with a lot of talent. It’s going to be really neat to watch.”

The organizers of the event promise runways, music and models, and the clothing designs are all originals of ISU students willing to express their creativity.

The event has been a semester in coming, as it is associated the course Fashion Show Production/Management (TC 271X/ 471X).

In these classes, students focus on a different aspect of producing this show, which is the culmination of the class effort.

The students learn how to stimulate interest to the public, fund-raise, design, coordinate and plan for the music, choreography and stage of the show.

Faculty advisor and creator of the class J.R. Campbell, professor in textiles and clothing, says many students are participating in the production this year, setting it apart from previous years.

“We have a whole lot more people involved in producing the show. It is bigger and more organized,” Campbell said. “We have partnered with Dr. Linda Pisano’s THE366 (theatre design) course and had her students create models and propose set designs for the show.”

The design selected for the show is by Jee-Hyun Lew, senior in art and design, and she is able to oversee the construction of the set at Fisher Theater.

The set design includes large mirrors, so every side of the models can be viewed effectively.

Models for this year are volunteer students representing a variety of different colleges and locations.

The models auditioned in advance of the competition and will be sporting the latest clothing designs from the minds of ISU students.

The garments worn by the models fall in to one of the four categories of the fashion competition: casual wear, collections, merchandising segment and experimental.

In each category there will be given a first, second and third place award, along with a best-overall award.

The awards will take place on Saturday night and are the result of decisions pre-made by professional judges.

As predicted by Kari Zevenbergen, the experimental category will most likely be the crowd favorite.

“That’s the stuff that is just wild. Last year we had a garment made out of a shower curtain; it’s the most eye-catching,” says Zevenbergen.

This year, the guest designer for the fashion show is of special significance. Twenty years ago at the first “student-design” fashion show, the winner was Lisa Norman.

Returning as a featured guest to the textiles and clothing fashion show, Lisa Norman now goes by Lisa Hendrickson and is a professional designer for Motherhood Maternity.

Also, President Gregory Geoffrey plans to make an appearance at Saturday’s event, before the awards ceremony.

Campbell is excited about the variation and depth this year’s fashion show promises to bring.

“It is truly an inspiration to see the diversity and quality of designs that are presented by a diverse group of people who are very passionate about their discipline,” Campbell said.

“It is great to involve a number of student models, who have tried-out and then been trained for the show. There is something for everyone: women’s wear, men’s wear, kids . it is a very visually intense and exciting show.”

Public relations director Kaki Woerner, senior in apparel merchandising, said design and production, students should not miss this exciting event.

“The textiles and clothing fashion show is one of the best kept secrets at Iowa State. The university is known for engineering and agriculture but what they don’t know is the talent that goes into a runway fashion show,” Woerner said.

“Innovation and creativity are exhibited in the same style as a runway fashion show in New York or Milan. Don’t pass up the opportunity to see this production on your own campus.”

Tickets for the show will be available at the Iowa State Center ticket office and cost $8.50 for Friday’s show and $10.50 for the show on Saturday.

In addition, a “High Tea” will be at noon on Saturday before the night’s show to raise funds and display the students’ designs in an informal setting.

This presentation will take place at the Joan Bice Underwood Tea Room in MacKay Hall. Tickets for the High Tea are $30.00 and can be purchased through the directors of the fashion show: [email protected].