Skits celebrate women

Luke Rolfes

ISU students will have an opportunity to witness four skits from some of the most influential female figures in history.

Sponsored by the Women’s Center as part of Women’s History month, the ISU World Theatre Workshop will give a performance detailing the lives and work of four influential women at 4 p.m. Thursday in the Sun Room of the Memorial Union.

During the presentation, audience members will be able to listen to biographical accounts of the four women and how their various paths have effected the `herstory’ (her story) of women.

The identities of the four women, however, will remain a mystery until showtime in order to maintain an element of surprise for the audience.

“I think it is an important event to see because one who goes to this event will learn about women who have laid down the foundation for the progress that women have made over the century,” says Shirley Dunlap, associate professor of music and director of the program.

Four ISU students, LaTia McPherson, sophomore in psychology, Amanda Green, senior in liberal studies, Stacie Dunlap, junior in apparel merchandising, and Elana Walker, sophomore in Spanish, will perform the monologues.

The students began working on the performance in January, and Thursday’s program will mark the second showing.

This event will be especially attractive to the student population, because it is performed by students, says Walker.

“College is all about being a learning experience, where we are given opportunities to go out and learn many things. This is one of them,” says Walker. “It shows how women have influenced bits and pieces of life that you have never even thought about.”

Fellow performer McPherson adds that the skit supports several organizations.

“It is a good opportunity to have students come out, have a lot of fun, support the World Theatre Workshop, as well as Women’s History Month and see a great performance,” she says.