On the Scene with Allison Sheridan

Trevor Fisher: Tell me a little about your background.

Allison Sheridan: I was born in Florida then moved to northern Wisconsin with my family. The reason I decided to go to school at the university at Iowa State was because I was looking to be pre-vet. I ended up switching over to history about my sophomore year and received my degree this past May.

TF: How did you get into your current position?

AS: In the fall of 2000 I had the introductions to museums class as a student, and then in the spring semester as a result of that I received an education internship here at the museum. So I kind of grew up in the museum. And then in September I was hired on as the education assistant/security.

TF: When you were going through school was this the kind of career you had in mind?

AS: Absolutely. I have always loved the university and museums have been a passion of mine; I have traveled all over the world to numerous museums. It’s a rewarding experience.

I have influences other than strictly teaching and, being a history major, sometimes you are limited to the types of job you can have. The stigma is you can only be a teacher or a historian writing books, and that’s not true. The museum is a great environment.

TF: Can you talk a little about the Brunnier for students who haven’t visited or maybe don’t even know it exists?

AS: Let me talk a little bit about University Museums as a whole, because that’s going to give you a better understanding. University Museums is composed of three parts: Brunnier Art Museum, the Farmhouse Museum and the Art on Campus collection. The Brunnier Art Museum is a facility with continually rotating exhibits.

Programs are presented on a regular basis to help accentuate the current exhibits. The Farmhouse Museum is the original homestead and the nation’s first model farm. And then with the Art on Campus collection, through the years Iowa State has purchased, commissioned, received gifts of art that form that collection. We believe it to be the nation’s largest campus public art collection. Everything you see on campus is all part of the collection.

TF: What exactly do your job duties consist of?

AS: I give tours; I am able to direct programs and help with programming. I hope to contribute to the university museum’s team by bringing in innovative ideas that will appeal to students and community members.

Of course I’m only one person and without the support of the staff here, things wouldn’t happen; the complete team makes things happen and I’m just part of that team.

A lot of people ask, “Why security?” That’s kind of a strange tie-in with education assistant. My desk is in the museum and we could easily have several exhibits here that are on loan from other institutions. So I basically provide the object security as well as physical security for the patrons. You have to think about the people visiting and preventing them from being injured.

TF: Even though you are not an art major, has art always played a major role in your life and do you have a favorite type of art and/or artist?

AS: Art has played a significant part of my life. I am in love with Egyptian art, so going to the British museum and seeing the coffins and hieroglyphic interpretations and inscriptions just lights a fire in me. I tend towards Degas and alternative artists that were testing the boundaries.

TF: What do you like to do when you aren’t working?

AS: I like to go see movies; I read a lot, watch TV. I go home and think about what we can do to bring in the student audience, because I think you are constantly infiltrated with images on TV on what’s popular and what’s not. So I’m technically working at home.

TF: You mention going to movies; what’s one of you favorites?

AS: I really like “Schindler’s List.” Being a history person, that was definitely a moving movie for me.

TF: If you had to pick one or two favorite aspects of your job what would they be?

AS: Interacting with the people first and foremost; the communications possibilities are endless. Being able to see a child’s face light up when they see sculpture and art is just wonderful. You know they are wondering and will remember this certain moment for the rest of my life. And again the main focus of my job is with the community. I’m the first living thing they come in contact with.

TF: Is there a least favorite part?

AS: Not really. The least favorite is crossing the snowy parking lot.

TF: What kinds of things do you want to accomplish with your job?

AS: We are always trying to establish connections within the departments so the professors will include us in the syllabus and maybe make it a requirement to come. Maybe it is a requirement to come for the initial visit, but then hopefully they come back to us. Same situation with the Farmhouse and Art on Campus.

You would be surprised how many students walk by Art on Campus every day and don’t realize what they are looking at or don’t even see it because they are in a hurry.

We just kind of hope to have them stop and smell the roses and see what a beautiful environment they go to class in everyday.