First black fraternity brother remembered for contribution

Rebecca Cooper

While trying to frame pictures, newspaper clippings and memorabilia from the past, the men of Alpha Sigma Phi found a piece of Iowa State and black history.

A large picture frame with fraternity pictures and yellowed articles and pictures from the Iowa State Daily in the 1960s was given to Alpha Sigma Phi, 2132 Sunset Dr., by a former fraternity member, said Joel Kennedy, sophomore in mechanical engineering. The articles and pictures were about one man – L. Benjamin King.

“Ben was an absolutely great guy,” said Scott Olson, King’s pledge father and 1969 graduate in architecture.

“He was an influential part of the Iowa State football team, a great pledge son and friend and a good member of the Alpha Sigma Phi family.”

King broke history 36 years ago, in 1966, as the first black to be offered membership in a social fraternity at Iowa State.

In 1956, 12 fraternities and sororities at Iowa State had restrictive clauses in their constitutions against allowing minorities to pledge.

By October 1964, all but two of the sororities removed their clauses, but no minority members joined the greek community until King, according to a Feb. 20, 1966, issue of the Iowa State Daily.

“I think any time you add diversity, you improve the organization and bring different insights for members to see,” said Alisa Frandsen, director of Greek Affairs. “It provides a richer experience for all those involved and improves the entire organization.”

King came to Iowa State in 1966 from Long Island, N.Y., where he was an All-American high school football player. He was admitted to Iowa State on an athletic scholarship and majored in physical education.

He was a three-year letter winner on the football team and started at fullback in 1968, his senior year, said Tom Kroeschell, director of media relations for the athletic department.

“When I was looking through the old Bombs [yearbooks] and Dailys and reading about the former regulations, the motto of change kept appearing,” Kennedy said. “I think [King] joining opened a lot of doors and helped bring change, acceptance, compassion and allowance to the greek system of the time.”

King often spent spring break and long weekends with Olson in Cedar Rapids but returned home after an influential four years at Iowa State, Olson said.

“He returned to New York after graduation, and many of us lost touch with him,” Olson said. “But we’ll always remember the impact he had on all of us at the time.”

King joined the fraternity at the height of the Civil Rights Movement. Many administrators feared a negative reaction and problems on campus, but King found acceptance from the fraternity and most people on campus, Olson said.

“It reflects the changing sentiments of the community at the time,” said Alpha Sigma Phi President Charles Patton. “We’re glad that the attitudes have changed to equal rights and equal respect and that everybody is now welcome to look at fraternities as a real option.”