Weekly Calendar

Thursday, Feb. 7

Compania Espanola de Antonio Marquez, one of the finest dancers in the world has personally shaped this company of dancers with a fervent devotion to the traditions of flamenco dance, at C.Y. Stephens Auditorium, 7:30 p.m., ISU students/ 18 and under: $16, $13, $10, non-students: $31, $25, $19

“The Business of Music: Making It in Iowa and Beyond,” Institute on National Affairs panel featuring Robb Vallier, producer and music writer for films and television; Dave Diebler and Barb Schlif, of the Iowa band House of Large Sizes; and moderator Kyle Munson Des Moines Register music critic, in the Sun Room, Memorial Union, 8 p.m., free

Friday, Feb. 8

House of Large Sizes, rock concert with Iowa band, at the Maintenance Shop, 9 p.m., ISU students: $6, non-students: $8

Saturday, Feb. 9

The Cello Weekend concert, a collaboration between Iowa State and Drake University, featuring guest and faculty cellists in concert with student cellists, at the Martha-Ellen Tye Recital Hall, 5 p.m., free

“Yojimbo” and “Dreams” SUB films double feature, in the Pioneer Room, MU, 7:00 p.m., $3

Sparechange with Rod and Eight Miles Out, punk rock concert, at the M-Shop, 9 p.m., ISU students: $5, non-students: $7

Sunday, Feb. 10

“Chistian Petersen, Gentle Sculptor” play by Tom Milligan, based on the life and times of the nation’s first campus artist-in-residence, Christian Petersen, at Brunnier Art Museum, 2 p.m., free

Basically Baroque, concert featuring Iowa State’s chamber music ensemble specializing in music of the 18th century on instruments of the period, in the Oak Room, MU, 7:30 p.m., free

Monday, Feb. 11

“Romeo and Juliet” matinee performances, featuring contemporary Verona setting and costumes, at Stephens, 10 a.m. and 12:30 p.m., $4

Saffire, the Uppity Blues Women, blues concert, at the M-Shop, MU, 7 p.m., ISU students: $11, non-students $17

“Nazi Culture and the Seduction of the Art World During the Third Reich” lecture by Jonathan Petropoulos, research director for the Presidential Advisory Commission on Holocaust Assets in the United States and professor of history at Claremont-McKenna College, at Kocimski Auditorium, The College of Design, 8 p.m., free

Tuesday, Feb. 12

“A Day Without Black People” a dramatization looking at the many contributions made by blacks that ease day-to-day life, in celebration of Black History Month, at LeBaron Lounge, 11 a.m., free

Sean Na Na with Frankenixon and Organ Donor, acoustic pop rock concert, at the M-Shop, MU, 8 p.m., ISU students: $5, non-students: $7

Wednesday, Feb. 13

“Listening to the Still Small Voice: The Story of George Washington Carver” featuring Paxton Williams in a one-act play about the life of ISU’s first African American graduate and faculty member, in the Sun Room, MU, 2 p.m., free

“The Meaning of the Life and Work of George Washington Carver in Today’s World” forum with visiting scholars, who will discuss the life and work of George Washington Carver, 3:20 p.m., Sun Room, MU, free

ISU Clarinet Choir concert at the Martha-Ellen Tye Recital Hall, 5:20 p.m., free

Continuing Exhibits

“Ultra-Realistic Sculpture by Marc Sijan” through Feb. 10, “20th Century Glass” and “Continuity and Change in African Art: 1930-1980” through March 1, at Brunnier

“Always Alternatives” through March 31, at Darshan Studios Comic Art Museum, 3819 Sixth Ave., Des Moines

“Expressionist Woodcuts” through March 31, Martin Puryear sculpture exhibit Friday through April 17, Des Moines Art Center, 4700 Grand Ave., Des Moines

– Information gathered by Bethany Kohoutek