Packer room looks through history

Faculty and students take a glimpse at the history of veterinary medicine through books and tools by visiting the Packer Heritage Room at the College of Veterinary Medicine.

George Beran, distinguished professor of veterinary microbiology and preventative medicine, said the Packer Heritage Room project began in late 1999, and opened during Homecoming Week in October 2001.

“All of the items were donated by vets around the Midwest,” he said. “The majority of the items are from vets here in Iowa.”

There are more than 1,000 instruments and almost 2,000 books dating from the early 1700s to the 1950s.

One exhibit includes sets of acupuncture needles, which students brought back after a visit to China many years ago, Beran said. Although the needles are twice as big as the needles used today, he said they were still effective painkillers in their time.

Bottles of homemade medicine line one wall of the heritage room.

“Most of the medicines were made from plant extracts,” Beran said.

Lois Bevins, whose husband, Noel, graduated from Iowa State in 1952, donated many of the books and some of the tools, Berans said.

Noel F. Bevins began his practice in Canoga Park, Calif., after leaving Ames. He worked here until he retired in 1989.

Lois Bevins said many of the books she donated were not only from her husband’s practice but also from his father’s practice.

“Some of the books are over 100 years old,” she said.

But, Lois Bevins said the most interesting item she donated was the medicine kit used by her father-in-law, Noel O. Bevins.

“It is a very interesting medicine kit,” she said. “Most of the pills in the small glass containers were based on cocaine.”

All toxic chemicals have been removed from their containers since Sept. 11, Beran said.

“Some of the medicine helped wipe out pseudorabies in Iowa, others helped vaccinate pigs from cholera,” he said. “One of the discolored tin cans dates back to Jan. 1, 1928, and still carries the label `Anthrax.’ “

Berans said he hopes students will continue to make use of the quiet study environment and take the time to appreciate the items on display throughout the Packer Heritage Room.