Signing program presents new language to campus

Members of the ISU community were able to learn a foreign language without saying a word thanks to the Alliance for Disabilities Awareness.

The Alliance offered a free sign language class taught by students in February to educate people about language and communicating with the hearing-impaired.

Alliance for Disability Awareness President Matthew Ressler, sophomore in art and design, has been deaf since he was nine months old and is the primary instructor of the informative classes. Ressler said he teaches the class to promote an understanding of deaf people and their means of communication.

“I like people to know and be aware of the deaf and sign language,” Ressler said through an interpreter. “If [people] have an interest in it, I can help them learn sign language on their own, and they will be able to communicate with deaf people.”

The group has sponsored basic sign-language classes each Wednesday this month. More than 50 people have crowded into the Cardinal Room of the Memorial Union to learn tips that will help them better communicate with deaf classmates and family.

Hashim Al-Zain, senior in mechanical engineering, said he attends the classes so he can communicate more effectively with one of his deaf friends.

“I wanted to better know how they communicate,” Al-Zain said. “It’s an entirely different environment. It’s like learning another language.”

Katie Greiman, secretary for the alliance, said the organization is trying to make students aware of the benefits that accompany a basic understanding of sign language.

“You never know when in your life you are going to run into a person who is hearing-impaired,” said Greiman, senior in communication studies. “Knowing sign language can help break down communication barriers. People’s lives can depend on sign language.”

Marcie Richmond, freshman in chemistry, said she does not know anyone who is deaf, but attends the classes because she is just interested in sign language. Richmond also said she has already benefited from the topics that have been covered.

“If everyone who goes [to the classes] knows somebody who is deaf, the probability of me getting a deaf classmate is probably pretty high,” Richmond said. “I have already learned a lot about deaf culture and communication.”

The final class offered is Wednesday, Feb. 27 in the Cardinal Room.

The event is free and open to the public.