Student receives leadership award

For one ISU doctoral student who will receive a national leadership award in engineering next week, being a mentor for others is more important to him than his personal accomplishments.

Leon Pickett Jr., graduate student in engineering mechanics, will accept the National Consortium for Graduate Degrees of Minorities in Engineering and Science, Inc. Student Leadership Award.

The award will be presented Feb. 14 at the 16th Annual Black Engineer of the Year Awards Conference in Baltimore, Md.

Pickett, originally from Detroit, chose to “be different” and come to Iowa State in 1996.

“I knew I wanted to go to college and go to a good school,” he said. “Plus, tuition was cheaper at Iowa State than at most Michigan schools.”

Pickett said it’s hard being so far away from his family, since he only makes it home once or twice a year, but the “homey” Iowa environment has helped.

Nancy Knight, graduate programs coordinator and consortium representative, said she “pushed [Pickett] a little bit to apply.”

“He’s so modest,” she said. “Sometimes you have to nudge someone to toot their own horn.”

Pickett said he became eligible for the award with letters of recommendation from school administrators, a writing sample, a statement as to why he entered the field of engineering and his future goals.

Pickett’s main goal after he receives his doctorate is to become a professor, he said.

“I hope to be a role model for all students and bring more enjoyment to learning, especially to engineering courses, since some are so tedious,” he said. “And there really aren’t enough minority professors in hard sciences.”

Knight said Pickett is already well on his way to becoming a successful professor.

“He has already played a huge role in mentoring other minority students,” she said. He’s lived it every day. He is a great role model.”

Knight and Ted Okiishi, associate dean for research and outreach, will accompany Pickett to Baltimore.

“He is very deserving,” said James Melsa, ISU dean of engineering. “We are pleased he’s getting the award.”