New semester, new leadership for KURE

Luke Rolfes

Nestled deep within the bowels of Friley Residence Hall is Iowa State’s own student-run radio station.

Last semester’s general manager, Shar Macatangay, has graduated and moved on, leaving Dave Long, the new general manager, to take over with his vision for college radio. And as it happens, Long says he plans to continue a strong variety and independence on KURE radio.

“The station is headed in very good direction right now, and I am going to try to continue that,” says Long, junior in technical communication.

This semester KURE 88.5 promises to be more diverse and more eclectic in the prime time hours. The shows are projected to contain more indie rock and a wider variety of material.

One of the new features coming into this semester is the KURE chat room, located on the station’s Web site, www. kure885.org. In the chat room, listeners can converse with other listeners or the current DJ.

DJs say they are very appreciative of student listeners.

“I enjoy getting new music out there for people to hear,” says KURE DJ Chris Flenker.

Flenker, junior in computer engineering, says he and the other DJs enjoy taking requests, giving information about bands or just talking about music. Listeners do not have to request songs to call in to the station.

Long says the best thing listeners can do to show their support is to call the station and talk to the DJs. If listeners like what they hear, they are strongly encouraged to call in and tell the person on the radio what they think.

To go about doing this, KURE has a large number of student DJs on staff. In a given day, listeners can enjoy over eight different DJs performing original shows and representing at least as many genres.

KURE DJ Matt Denner says the music played at the station more aptly reflects the interests of the Iowa State listeners than would a corporate-run radio station.

“Because it is a radio station that anyone can call in to or apply to be a DJ, the musical taste of the listeners are going to be better represented than a station where 10 DJs play the same music from one playlist generated by one music director,” says Denner, sophomore in liberal arts and sciences.

The music ranges anywhere from indie rock to world dance music to hardcore. Perhaps the only music that fails to make an appearance are the songs that one would find on MTV’s Total Request Live.

The DJs are allowed the freedom to create original shows, which average two hours in length.

They can choose when to talk, when to play music and what music to play.

The programming at KURE is brought to listeners free of commercials. Unlike a corporate radio station, it is does not use advertisement for funding.

In response to what it sees as a lack of variety of popular music, KURE strives to enhance musical knowledge and perspectives by bringing its listeners new or unestablished music, says Darryl Moton, KURE music director.

“The music trend went from bad to worse in the late ’90s,” Moton says.

However, Moton says he believes current political situations will cause an artistic increase.

“There is a Republican in office,” says Moton, senior in English.

“People will see that the world isn’t as great as they want it to be, and the public will be a lot more open to music that is more honest and angry.”