Potential cures for hangovers vary

Alcohol consumption can be common practice among college students. It also means, at some point in time, a portion of those who chose to experience the effects of alcohol will also encounter alcohol toxicity – the `hangover.’

Dr. Mark Randleman, certified physician at Mary Greeley Medical Center, said “some common symptoms [indicating] alcohol toxicity can include a headache, photophobia [an increased sensitivity to light], and dehydration.”

“Your body’s overdone it when you feel hung over,” he said.

Apart from abstinence from drinking, Randleman suggested carefully monitoring the amount of alcohol one consumes as a way to avoid a hangover. He also suggests drinking plenty of fluids to counteract the consequent dehydration. “Water is best . stay away from caffeine-containing products,” Randleman said.

When it comes to relieving the throbbing headache and other ailments of `the morning after,’ there are differing opinions among practitioners and professionals alike. There are a wide variety of options available to those in need.

“I usually take Advil the morning after,” said Lannie Nittler, sophomore in exercise and sports science.

“Try to sip on fluids – but after the nausea and vomiting subside,” said Jolene Fretty, coordinator of First Nurse Call Center which is affiliated with Mary Greeley Medical Center.

“Gradually progress from clear liquids to white milk products,” she said.

Fretty also suggested trying to eat fried or fatty foods, taking some Tylenol if needed, and getting plenty of rest. She strongly encouraged seeking medical attention if symptoms do not improve.

ISU students have their own `tried and true’ methods for dealing with a hangover.

“I’m all about [taking] Excedrin,” said Michael Day, freshman in English.

“I usually just sleep it off and drink lots of water,” said Kourtni Hegstrom, freshman in pre-business. “But if I have to, I’ll take aspirin.”

“You can pre-load ibuprofen . but it can cause damage to your stomach’s lining,” Randleman said.

There is, however, only one proven `cure for the common hangover.’

“Prevention is always the best choice,” Randleman said.