Cravens keynote speaker at Fulbright program

The German-American Fulbright Program has an important tie to an ISU history professor.

Two-time Fulbright Chair Hamilton Cravens, professor of history, will be the keynote speaker at the 50th anniversary celebration of the German Fulbright Scholarship Program March 10-16.

Cravens will discuss the pros and the American advantages of the academic exchange program.

Cravens, who has been teaching at Iowa State since the late 1960s, said he has always been interested in history and Germany intrigued him, so when he was presented the chance to teach at Goettingen University in Germany, he didn’t hesitate.

“It seemed to be a golden opportunity, and I was right,” Cravens said.

Cravens had his first experience as a Fulbright Scholar while teaching in Germany in 1988.

The goal of the Fulbright program is to link two of the most academically advanced nations through fellowship teaching opportunities, Cravens said.

Initially, he had applied for his first nomination. The second time he was named a Fulbright Scholar almost eight years later, the Germans sought him out, he said.

“He may be the only person to have two Fulbright chairs,” said George McJimsey, professor and chairman of history.

McJimsey said a person must be a competent leader and good teacher in their field to be nominated. They also need to be recognized nationally and internationally as a scholar.

McJimsey said Cravens is all that and more. “I think of him as someone who represents the achievement that we look for in faculty members,” he said.

Cravens has many fond memories about Germany and his experiences there.

“I wanted to know about Europe, and I’d never been there before 1988,” he said. “The experience enabled me to understand the country emotionally and intellectually . It’s incredibly fascinating.”

Cravens said his students in Germany were “very bright,” but he said they had trouble understanding the differences between the United States and Europe.

“The issues are similar, but the resolutions are so different,” he said. “It was an interesting challenge.”