Students find few new job prospects at expo

Jeff Morrison

The same number of students attended the annual Engineering Spring Career Expo as last year, but they found that fewer companies were filling fewer positions.

Expo chair Jennifer Tapke said the number of attending companies was down due to the economy. However, fewer companies were missing at the expo Tuesday.

“We had a couple cancellations, but it’s not as bad as last year’s [expo] when we had the ice storm,” said Tapke, senior in industrial engineering.

Students at the expo said they were having problems finding jobs.

Patrick Hobart, senior in computer engineering, said he had spoken to 15 companies, but had few results.

“Companies are selectively hiring,” he said.

“I think I’ll get a job eventually, but maybe only after I flip some burgers.”

Melissa McDevitt, senior in industrial engineering, wasn’t having any luck either.

“I’ve talked to three companies and none of them were hiring,” she said early in the day.

Sometimes students found that companies just weren’t looking for their major.

“No one’s looking for full-time mechanical. Out of the 20 or so companies I talked to, only five were looking for full-time,” said Ryan Mouw, senior in mechanical engineering.

For other expo attendees, finding a job was not as pressing a matter.

“I’m here for experience,” said Clint Hertz, sophomore in computer engineering. Hertz said he looked at more than five companies and would be e-mailing resumes to nearly all of them.

One student found that uncovering an opportunity just takes a little luck.

While working at the expo, Jeff Narr, senior in civil engineering, helped direct some of the representatives to lunch. In doing so, he began talking to representatives from URS Corporation, a civil engineering consulting firm in Minneapolis.

Narr said they were looking for students in his area of study, and asked to see his r‚sum‚.

“I was empty-handed, so I told him I’d bring one back,” Narr said.