People meet food requirements but lack healthy diet, study says

Most people know the basic structure and function of the food pyramid. But when it comes to keeping a daily record of the foods eaten and planning a diet, even the health-conscious sometimes draw a blank.

According to a recent study, 60 percent of Americans meet their recommended daily requirements but fail to construct a healthy diet.

All food consumed in 2,000 households across the nation was recorded for the study, which was conducted by the U.S. Department of Agriculture.

Stephen Sapp, associate professor of agricultural sociology, evaluated the results of this study in his article “Incomplete Knowledge and Attitude-Behavior Inconsistency.” The article was published in “Social Behavior and Personality: An International Journal.”

Americans know what foods are good for them, but many have a hard time keeping track of what they eat, Sapp said.

“The problem is that we eat on the run,” he said.

Too many people are short-sighted in their diets, he said. They grab a quick burger for lunch, eat a pizza for dinner and never look at their food consumption on a broader scope. Americans, including college students, tend to fall short of their recommended daily allowance of fruits and vegetables, he said.

Some people think certain food groups are unhealthy, Sapp said. But, eaten in a proper diet, fast food is actually insignificant.

With the help of the U.S. Department of Agriculture Web site, www.usda.gov/cnpp, anyone can evaluate their daily diet in a matter of seconds, he said.

Mary Jane Oakland, associate professor of food science and human nutrition, said fruits and vegetables can replace some of the fats and sugars carried in the blood stream.

“Not eating fruits and vegetables won’t matter much by the end of February,” Oakland said. “But, by age 35, your arteries may be clogged, and you are at a higher risk for cancer, heart disease, diabetes and obesity.”

Sapp and Oakland said American diets have improved over the past 20 years, but there is still room for improvement.

“Twenty to 25 years ago, people were eating very fatty foods,” Sapp said. “This fat came from fattier types of meat and marbled pork.”

But, he said, people shouldn’t be afraid to try new food, even if its is prepared in grease or deep-fat fryers.

“Experimenting with new foods and food preparations are part of the college experience,” Sapp said. “Students need to remember that approximately 25 percent of their diet should be fat.”

For example, certain foods on the menus in the residence hall dining centers aren’t entirely healthy, but when combined with other options, the meals provided are some of the healthiest meals on campus, Sapp said.