LETTER:Lack of student fans a disgrace to team

Travis Simpson

Where were the students for a thriller of a game Saturday afternoon in Hilton? I, as a student, was very disappointed and embarrassed by the lack of attendance by my fellow students. We looked like hypocrites Saturday, after 2 seasons of complaining that the general public didn’t show enough support by not attending games well enough. The student section in the balcony may have been considered half-full if you looked at it optimistically. The Cyclones may be 12-16, but students need to show our support through both good and bad times.

We don’t have as good excuses not to attend games as the public because we live close to Hilton and we get a discount price for our tickets. A family has to pay $22 a ticket, which is enough of an excuse to not attend a game by a team with a losing record. But they still show up, so why aren’t we as students doing the same? I look at the struggling Hawkeyes and see how they still manage to pack Carver-Hawkeye Arena despite their team being a huge flop this season.

Do we want people to think Hawkeye fans are better than Cyclones fans? Let’s give senior Tyray Pearson a much deserved sendoff in his final game at Hilton Coliseum this coming Saturday night.

Tyray has worked his butt off this season to provide us with some great entertainment. We at least owe it to him to pack Hilton for his last game and give him something to remember after all he’s done for us as fans.

Travis Simpson

Senior

Management information systems