Weekly Calendar

Thursday, Jan. 24

Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender (LGBT) Student Services program’s annual Small Victories Celebration, celebrates accomplishments of the LGBTA community and recognizes individuals who help foster an environment that supports diversity in the Sun Room, Memorial Union, 6:30 – 8:30 p.m.

“Where Mind and Body Meet: Elements of Yoga” workshop by certified fitness instructor Kris Mach. This program will debunking the myths concerning yoga, give a brief history and explain the types of yoga and the health benefits regular yoga practice can provide. Mach will also conduct a brief workshop comprised of warm-up, active and cool-down components. Brunnier Art Museum, 7 p.m., free

Lowen & Navarro, folk rock concert at the Maintenance Shop, MU, 7:30 p.m., ISU students $5, non-students $7

“Hedwig & the Angry Inch,” SUB film in the Pioneer Room, MU, 8 p.m., $2

Luther Vandross at Historic Orpheum Theatre, Minneapolis, 7:30 p.m., $57.50 – $62.50

Barry Manilow at Rosemont Theatre, Rosemont, Ill., 8 p.m., $46.50 – $77.50

O.A.R. and Howie Day at Liberty Hall, Lawrence, Kan., 8 p.m., $15

Friday, Jan. 25

Manplanet and Oh My God!, pop rock concert at the M-Shop, MU, 9 p.m., ISU students $7, non-students $9

Saturday, Jan. 26

Open House for Ames’ new Islamic Center, and opportunity to tour the new mosque, and learn more about Islam and Muslims in the community, at 1212 Iowa Avenue, 2:30 to 6 p.m.

Noche de Reinas (Lady’s Night) Dance Workshop, Merengue workshop and dance, featuring Latino, rap, R&B, dance, and other English music in the Sun Room, MU, 8 p.m., free, for more information contact Roy Salcedo at 292-7533 or [email protected]

Mason Jennings, alternative folk rock concert at the M-Shop, MU, 9 p.m., ISU students $6, non-students $9

H20, Mest and Big Wig, NJ at Quest Club, Minneapolis, 7 p.m., $12

Brian McKnight at Historic State Theatre, Minneapolis, 8 p.m., $37.50 – $47.50

Sunday, Jan. 27

“If They Could Talk. . . Family Day Event,” an educational and creative afternoon for children of all ages, featuring mask decorating, handprint magnets, flexible faces and plaster molds at Brunnier, 2 p.m., free

Joseph Messenger, clarinet concert at Martha-Ellen Tye Recital Hall, 3 p.m., free

Monday, Jan. 28

“Good Sex: Intimacy, Love and Marriage in the Christian Tradition,” lecture by Maura Ryan, assistant professor in the theology department at Notre Dame in the Sun Room, MU, 8 p.m., free

JJ72 and Stereophonics at Fine Line Music Cafe, Minneapolis, 8 p.m., $12 – $27

Tuesday, Jan. 29

“Talking about Music”, Institute on National Affairs lecture by Ian MacKaye, member of Fugazi and cofounder of Dischord Records in the Sun Room, MU, 8 p.m., free

JJ72 and Stereophonics at Metro, Chicago, 7 p.m., $16.50

Wednesday, Jan. 30

“Putting Women in Their Place(s),” an open forum featuring 2002 Mary Louise Smith Chair for Women in Politics Harriett Woods, former Lt. Gov. and state senator from Missouri and author of the book “Stepping Up to Power: The Political Journey of American Women” at 353 Catt Hall, 11 a.m. to noon and 2:15 – 3:15 p.m., free

“Stepping Up to Power: The Political Journey of American Women”, lecture by Harriett Woods in the Sun Room, MU, 8 p.m., free

Willie Nelson at Lied Center, Lawrence, Kan., 7:30 p.m., $34 – $40

– Information gathered by Bethany Kohoutek