It’s `Ladies Night’

Dana Schmidt

Saturday night was “ladies night” in the Memorial Union, but there were no alcohol specials or typical bar promotions. Instead, merengue dancing and Latino history filled the Sun Room during Noche de Reinas, or “Ladies’ Night.”

“Noche de Reinas is a night to celebrate and appreciate women in our lives and society,” said Roy Salcedo, an organizer of the event and merengue instructor. “Women in the Latino culture are seen as the epicenter of our existence and deserve our respect and gratitude.”

To demonstrate their appreciation for women, the sponsoring groups Fraternos Unidos and Sigma Lambda Beta gave red carnations to the first 86 women.

“We gave out 86 carnations because 1986 was when the fraternity Sigma Lambda Beta was founded,” said Jason Smolka, president of Fraternos Unidos.

The dance workshop began with students learning how to shift their weight and move their feet and ended with students learning how to do the turns.

The merengue originated from the Dominican Republic, and although it has been popular there since the 1850s, it just recently came to the United States. “I learned the turn move; it was actually pretty easy. And I also learned about the history,” said Thuy Tran, freshman in English.

Students were also taught dance etiquette, which involved learning where to place their hands when they danced.

“Everybody puts their own flavor and style into it,” said Salcedo, graduate student in education leadership and policy studies.

After the merengue dancing workshop ended the real dance began. Couples glided around the dance floor swinging their hips and turning in circles.

“The open dance was the most fun because you can do more moves on your own to more music,” said Amy Melahoures, junior in biology.

All types of music, including R&B, rap, hip-hop and Latino music, were played at the event. Members of the groups sponsoring Noche de Reinas gave out door prizes throughout the night, mainly gift certificates to several area restaurants.

Saturday marked the second annual “Noche de Reinas.” The first was on April 7, 2001.

“We plan to have Noche de Reinas every spring semester,” Salcedo said. “This event gives students an opportunity to learn more about Latino culture as well as provides a substance-free event at ISU.”

Several students expressed a desire to attend next year’s Noche de Reinas.

“I’ll definitely come back next year,” said Rachel Hager, sophomore in electrical engineering.

Salcedo said Fraternos Unidos is a support group for male Latino students that provides social, cultural and educational activities for Latino students and the rest of the ISU community.

“Fraternos Unidos really got started up last year. It was founded by Roy Salcedo, a few other guys, and me,” said Smolka, junior in electrical and computer engineering. “It creates a bigger awareness of students on campus to show that this university has a diverse background.”