On the Scene with Letitia Hansen

Jennifer Schweisberger

JS: What sort of exhibitions and programs does the Octagon Center for the Arts provide?

LH: The galleries provide anything from local artists to shows with national artists. Sometimes we have more well known artists like Norman Rockwell. The focus since I took over the position has been to get back to more Iowa and Midwest artists because of the limited exhibit space for people in the area.

JS: What is your background as an artist?

LH: I have a visual studies and fine arts degree from Iowa State and have basically worked in arts since I graduated. I not only work here, but am a member of the Ames Public Art Commission and am a board member of the Ames Community Art Council. I am also involved with a lot of other community activities.

JS: How can students become involved with the Octagon?

LH: There are lots of ways. We have internship programs through the exhibit program and the education program. Students can see the galleries or take classes, and we have volunteer opportunities for students. There are a few job opportunities once in a while, in areas like the gift shop.

JS: How did you become involved with the Octagon?

LH: I was working at a job I knew I didn’t want to stay in because it was not related to the arts.

So I quit my job and started volunteering there to make contacts in the arts and to see what opportunities were available. A job opened and I stepped into it. I started as the manager of the retail shop and have moved to different positions since then.

JS: Who are your artistic influences?

LH: That’s a really hard question, because I’m not that active in my own artwork, mainly because of amount of time I spend at work. One of my favorite artists is Frida Kahlo. I kind of go from artist to artist in different stages, and she’s probably who I’m hooked on now.

JS: What medium do you work in?

LH: I don’t have one thing that I do. I try to get involved in different areas. What I’ve done the last couple of years is book binding on hand-made books, and I have taken old furniture that I find at garage sales and repainted it, basically turning it into something new.

JS: Why do you think art is important for college students?

LH: I think it’s a wonderful release, even if you aren’t an art major. Everyone is busy with classes, part-time jobs and other things they’re involved in, but it’s nice to have something else. We have weekday and weekend hours for people to come in. It is something you can do by yourself or with other people.

Art can be very therapeutic, whether it’s going to galleries or making your own. It affects what else you do, your creativity, and gets other part of brain going if you’ve been doing more left-brained things.

JS: What is your hope for student involvement in the future at the Octagon?

LH: I hope that we get more interns than we have. It’s a great opportunity to work in the arts, meet artists and to see what it’s like to be in nonprofit organizations. It is also a great experience to volunteer during the semester. It makes a big difference.

JS: Do you currently have a lot of student involvement?

LH: We have had a lot of involvement with a sociology class that came and helped with a whole bunch of different projects, but I would like to see more students come to exhibit openings and visit the galleries.