Beat Box

Students present student Oscar film

ISU4 Student Television will present a compilation film featuring the 2001 winners of the 28th Annual Student Academy Awards today at 7:30 pm in Kocimski Auditorium at the College of Design.

The 2001 compilation film features the four student entries that received Gold Medal Awards from the Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences along with the Honorary Foreign Film Award winner.

The categories for the Student Academy Awards include animation, narrative, documentary and alternative. Admission is free.

Jay-Z gets three years probation

Nearly two months after entering a guilty plea in October for third-degree assault, rapper Jay-Z received three years probation for stabbing Lance Rivera on Dec. 2, 1999.

The rapper, born Shawn Carter, had originally maintained that he was not guilty of the stabbing until he actually entered the plea.

Jay-Z avoided serving up to 15 years in prison by pleading guilty, but he will be unable to leave New York without the approval of his probation officer.

Creed stays higher than the rest

For the second week in a row, Creed’s third release, “Weathered,” will remain at the top of the charts, selling more than 417,000 copies, according to SoundScan.

Last week Creed debuted at the top of the charts posting more than 887,000 copies sold, a number that was only eclipsed by ‘NSync’s “Celebrity” debut sales.

Creed is riding on the success of its recent single, “My Sacrifice.”

– News gathered by Jon Dahlager from mtv.com.