International Dance Night to celebrate music, culture

Cultural music and dances from many different countries will be featured at the International Dance Night.

There will be live performances of dance and music by several international groups.

The event will be from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. Friday in the Great Hall of the Memorial Union.

The DJ for the dance will mix music from different countries around the world, focusing on a global variety, making for an exciting, diverse experience.

The free dance is part of the International Week 2001 celebration. The purpose of International Week is to promote international culture at Iowa State by bringing together different people from around the world so they can experience, share and learn about each other’s traditions, culture and heritage.

Miranda Mhango, Special Event Chair for the International Student Council was excited about the event.

“Each International Week event teaches a different aspect of culture,” she says. “International Dance Night is going to be a very fun way to learn about cultures and how they use music for celebration or entertainment.”

Along with the music, an International Fashion Show will provide a glimpse of the cultural costumes and dress from many countries around the world.

Twenty representatives are expected to show off their countries’ garb while a narrator explains the materials of the clothing and the occasions in which they are worn.

Students are encouraged to wear native attire from their countries in order to increase the diversity and heighten the atmosphere of the evening’s festivities.

International Week chair Kyaw Kyaw, a senior from Burma, says he hopes this activity will extend the knowledge of cultures in ISU students.

“International Dance Night is going to be very lively and colorful,” he says. “We invite all the students of Iowa State University to come and participate in this unique opportunity to see the cultures of the world.”