Student Services Building dedicated

Clowns, jugglers and balloon artists were seen romping around the west end of campus for the rededication ceremony in honor of the Student Services Building’s completed renovation.

Students were encouraged to trick-or-treat during their self-guided tours of the building between noon and 2 p.m. Wednesday.

At the dedication ceremony President Gregory Geoffroy, Graduate Student Senate President Debbie Martinez and Government of the Student Body President Andy Tofilon gave short speeches.

Renovations of the building, which was built in 1918, were proposed in September 1997. The new facilities were completed approximately one year ago, but an official rededication ceremony wasn’t held until Wednesday.

Glenda Lee, office coordinator for Student Counseling Service, said the Student Service Building offers a broad range of services to students.

The renovated building houses the Academic Success Center; Student Support Services; counseling services; Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Student Services; Minority Student Affairs; the Dean of Students Office; substance abuse programs; and enrollment services.

The new facilities allowed for these offices to be brought together into a more accessible central location.

Lee said the new renovations make for “a much more inviting atmosphere.”

Terry Mason, director of Student Counseling Service, said the center proves Iowa State is committed to its students.

“I think that the renovation of the building makes a strong statement to students that Iowa State University thinks students are really important,” Mason said. “Not only academics, but other services that help students to be their best.”

Positive about his new office location, Dean of Students Pete Englin said he hopes every student will stop by the Student Services Building at least once during their stay at Iowa State.

He said if students are facing challenges or issues and do not know where to look for help, the Student Services Building is always available, but students “don’t have to have a problem to stop in.”