Entrepreneurs group honors students, adviser

Katie Anderson

Two ISU students and their adviser were honored nationally for their entrepreneurial advances at the Collegiate Entrepreneurs Organization Conference.

Virgil Silhanek, senior in management information systems, and Kristy Kennon, senior in marketing, each won an award from the conference Nov. 1-3 in Chicago. Judi Eyles, program coordinator for the ISU Pappajohn Center, was named Best CEO chapter adviser.

Silhanek, Web master and vice president of communication for the club, won first place for the Best CEO Chapter Web site. Kennon, Pappajohn Center representative, won for Best CEO Chapter Brochure.

Eyles said the ISU Entrepreneur Club was nominated for four out of eight of the Best Chapter awards given by the CEO Conference.

“Iowa State has received national recognition because of this conference,” Eyles said. “ISU came out on top of 200 to 300 collegiate chapters, winning three awards. ISU is looked upon as a leader, and it’s all because the students care, and they deserve this recognition.”

Eyles said she is pleased these two students won awards.

“Virgil and Kristy both worked really hard,” Eyles said. “Kristy is the kind of person who doesn’t want any recognition for what she does, so it’s really fun when she does get recognized for all of her hard work. Virgil volunteered to develop a Web site out of necessity. He did and continues to put lots of hours into the upkeep of his Web site. Both these students worked hard on their projects not with the intention of winning a prize but because the club needed it.”

Silhanek said he joined the club after reading a flyer in the second semester of his freshman year. He has been a part of the group ever since.

“I’ve been a part of the Entrepreneurs Club for the past three years,” he said. “As a group, we work on awareness and helping people as far as starting their own business and being an entrepreneur.”

Kennon said she was happy the number of awards the club won.

“To go to a national competition and win that many awards was quite an honor,” she said. “It was really nice to be recognized for the work and for the club to be recognized.”

The Entrepreneurs Club provides students who wish to pursue their own business interests a chance to learn more about entrepreneurial opportunities, according to the club Web site.

“The Entrepreneurs Club provides great opportunities for any major, student or person,” Silhanek said. “This is not only for people who want to start their own business. It’s a great way to meet people, as well as business people. It’s a great opportunity to learn.”