Students need to vote to have a voice

Anna Holland

As Ames residents head to the polls today to choose their local leaders, the voice of nearly half the city’s population is likely to be almost silent if the trend holds – student participation is usually slim in local elections.

For city leaders, the issue is serious.

“There’s not a candidate out there who doesn’t think Iowa State students could make or break an election,” said Mary Mosiman, Story County auditor and commissioner of elections. “The student population can be a huge voice in the outcome of an election.”

City Councilwoman Ann Campbell, 3rd Ward, said it’s “understandable” that students don’t vote in local elections.

“For most students, coming and getting an education is of primary importance,” she said. “Perhaps it’s more important than participation in local politics.”

Campbell also said many students remain registered to vote in other cities and states and vote by absentee ballots.

“It’s very valid for students to continue to feel more connected with their hometowns,” she said.

City Councilman Steve Goodhue, 2nd Ward, said student votes “have more impact than students believe.”

“Iowa State University and its students are an integral part of this community,” Goodhue said. “Many of the initiatives we take have an impact on students . while they’re here.”

Goodhue said student participation in local elections is “very welcome.”

Mosiman said there are several additional reasons why students don’t vote in local elections, one being a limited knowledge of the election process.

“Perhaps [students] don’t know whether or not they can vote in Ames, and they don’t know the process to change that,” Mosiman said. “Since they do reside here, they’re eligible to register here.”

Jim Hutter, associate professor of political science, said many students don’t vote because they don’t know candidates or issues.

“[Students] don’t participate, because they aren’t interested,” he said. “They don’t feel they can make an educated decision.”

Hutter said local elections are nonpartisan, which also leads to people feeling they don’t know candidates or their stands on issues.

“Parties aren’t out there working to increase turnout,” he said. “Why bother voting if you don’t know who the candidate is?”

Hutter said students need to realize these elections affect them a great deal.

“If a person believes the outcome of the election will affect them in a meaningful way, they’ll vote,” he said.

Hutter said lack of participation applies not only to students, but also those who haven’t lived in a community very long.

“[Students] don’t have ties to the community,” he said. “But I don’t think it applies to students any more than other people. People who haven’t lived here much . aren’t going to vote.”