ISU Symphony Orchestra to play benefit concert

Students and community members can help the victims of the Sept. 11 attacks by attending ISU Symphony Orchestra’s “Music for America” benefit concert 3 p.m. Sunday at Stephens Auditorium.

The selections to be played are all-American, according to Director of Orchestral Activities Mark Laycock, and because there are two centuries of music to choose from, there will be a variety of different styles.

Works by Copland, Bernstein, Gershwin and Barber will be performed.

“As an American, these are composers that you need to know,” Laycock said. “They are among the finest composers America has ever produced.”

The audience will be invited to sing along to such classics as the “The Star-Spangled Banner” and “America, the Beautiful.”

In addition to orchestra music, there will be readings by theater department faculty members, songs sung by music professors and opportunities for audience sing-a-longs.

Several faculty members will be featured as soloists in the program. James Bovinette, trumpet and assistant professor of music, and Kevin Schilling, English horn and associate professor of music, both appear in “Quiet City,” Aaron Copland’s somber ode to New York.

Paul Pisano, adjunct assistant professor of music, will be spotlighted when he plays the piano for George Gershwin’s “Rhapsody in Blue.”

Tenor Donald Simonson, associate professor of music, and baritone James Tener, collaborative instructor of music, will sing rousing excerpts from Leonard Bernsteins musical “On the Town.”

Narration about the tragedy will be read throughout the concert by Shirley Dunlap, associate professor of music, and Linda Pisano, assistant professor of music.

Representatives from the Red Cross may speak to the audience.

Laycock said the idea for this concert came from concerned ISU students.

“One of my students, Jennifer Speer, came into my office for a meeting and said `Let’s do a benefit,'” he said. “Clearly they were looking for a way to help those devastated by the events of Sept. 11.”

“As musicians,” he continued, “we have a responsibility, particularly in difficult times, to help those around us reconnect with what is beautiful in the world.”

Mei-I Charlotte Shih, junior in music and bassoonist, described the pieces as “popular music-everybody would like it. It’s not that classical; it’s very easily enjoyed.”

Laycock said the moods expressed in the music range from “haunting, atmospheric” to “exhultant, spirited,” but all the pieces “speak directly to the heart.”

The student musicians who will play in the concert attested to the music’s therapeutic affect.

Shih said the Sept. 11 events “weigh very heavy on your mind, but after the playing of the music you feel lighter.”

Craig Olson, senior in music and tuba player, said the music “makes you want to wear a flag around all day.”

Both students said they have favorite pieces that they enjoy playing.

Shih said that she likes the “very beautiful, special harmony” of “Rhapsody in Blue.”

Olson said he prefers the “army-like, miltaristic” “Dudley Buck Festival Overture,” which includes variations on the “Star Spangled Banner.”

Olson said the audience should “come and sit back to get some relaxation, relief from all of it.”

The ticket prices, $5 for general admission and $3 for students, will cover just the cost of producing the concert.

Therefore, audience members will be asked to contribute by giving donations to the Red Cross at the concert.

Tickets are available at the Iowa State Center Ticket Office and all Ticketmaster locations.