Lecture, art to honor Mexico’s influence on women

Jessie Pohlman

Two art exhibits will explore Mexico’s influence on Iowa women with a free lecture and reception from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. Wednesday in the Pioneer Room of the Memorial Union.

The lecture will cover one of the exhibits, a showing of black- and-white portrait photography called “Daring to Be: Portraits of Women Leaders in Yucatan, Mexico.”

Jann Freed and George Ann Huck, professors from Central College, took the photographs and interviewed women leaders in Merida, Yucatan.

Freed and Huck recognized the lack of women role models in Mexico and sought out women who showed leadership in the arts, education, business, commerce and social service agencies.

Students can look to the Yucatan women for motivation when they attempt to break out of the roles they play every day, said Carrie Scott, fine arts director on the Student Union Board.

Scott said the lecture and artwork could apply to all students.

“In our 20s, when we graduate, there will be opportunities for us to do a multitude of occupations, even outside the cultural roles expected of us,” she said.

“I’d encourage everyone of all majors and backgrounds to attend [and] get more of an open mind,” Scott said.

Sarah Phillips, fine arts adviser on the Student Union Board, had a similar outlook about the lecture.

She said the Mexicans who stepped out to become leaders in their communities could inspire women here.

The lecture will focus on the photographs and interviews of the 24 women. The “Daring to Be” exhibit will be on display until Nov. 28.

The other exhibit, “Conexiones Mexicanas” (Mexican Connections), is in the Memorial Union Gallery and will feature art from and inspired by Mexico’s Day of the Dead.

Mexico’s Day of the Dead, or El Dia de Los Muertos, is a celebration similar to Halloween. This tradition honors the spirits of Mexican ancestors. Families construct elaborate altars in their homes with the favorite food and drink of their deceased family members.

Barbara Vaske, resident artist with the Iowa Arts Council, and Pam Dennis, local artisan, traveled to Oaxaca, Mexico, with the financial support of the Iowa Arts Council.

Vaske and Dennis met native artists, photographed their Day of the Dead rituals and collected a variety of arts and crafts made for the celebration. After returning to Iowa, they both created artwork that reflected their experiences.

All of these artworks will be on display in the “Conexiones Mexicanas” exhibit through Dec. 2.