No band choice for Veishea yet

Hannah Fletcher

The Veishea entertainment co-chairs are looking into different options for bands during the annual weekend, with a possible emphasis on local entertainment rather than one big, well-known act.

Cost, availability and student interest in different bands are all reasons why the committee may be looking into other options, said entertainment co-chair Quinn Showalter.

The Veishea co-chairs are still looking for a band to perform for the Veishea crowds, Showalter said, but they have also discussed scheduling more local bands to better entertain the students.

“We have thrown around the idea of a few smaller bands playing around campus” throughout the week, said Showalter, senior in agricultural studies.

He pointed out the lack of support for last year’s band, Vertical Horizon, and the success of the Nadas Homecoming concert as reasons why small concerts appeal to students.

There was some disappointment on campus last year when Vertical Horizon was chosen for the Veishea concert, he said. Homecoming featured a more local band during the week and had a large student turnout, Showalter said.

B.J. Fuhrman, entertainment co-chair, said $30,000 of last year’s $70,000 budget for Veishea was spent on the Vertical Horizon concert. The Veishea committee has not yet been told what this year’s budget will be, but funding will play a role in the decision. The co-chairs hope to know the budget before Thanksgiving break, said Fuhrman, senior in agricultural studies.

Showalter said planning is on track compared to last year, with Vertical Horizon scheduled after winter break.

The Veishea co-chairs have been looking at band options for the concert and hope to find one that satisfies students, he said.

“By no means are we not looking at the big band option,” Showalter said.

Fuhrman said he wants to find an older band with a successful past that will be likely to appeal to students. The co-chairs will choose a band that is touring in the Midwest during Veishea time, which limits their options.

“Obviously, it costs more money to pull someone into the Midwest,” Fuhrman said. “It definitely makes it harder.”

Before winter break, the Veishea committee hopes to have an online survey for students to voice their opinions on the Veishea concert and entertainment, Showalter said. The survey will be a link on the Veishea homepage and will help the committee get a better idea what the students want and whether they would like to see more local bands, he said.

“The main goal is to have better entertainment that appeals to a larger group of students,” Showalter said.