DMX’s newest `one of the best hip-hop albums of the year’

You just have to love a grown man who can bark like a dog and still sound like a bad-ass.

With his fourth studio album, “The Great Depression,” DMX continues to prove why he is one of the elite emcees in the rap business. His rhymes, his hooks, his image – all are one of a kind and make this album one of the best hip-hop albums of the year.

With an obvious love for his creator and for the f-word, DMX doesn’t care what anybody thinks. He told MTV the title of his album is what all rappers will feel when he comes back and takes back over the rap world.

Tracks like “Trina Moe,” “School Street,” “I’m a Bang” and the first single, “We Right Here,” are just some of the scowl-inducing, head-bobbing highlights.

All the guest artists on the album are females, and something doesn’t quite click when they mix with DMX. “When I’m Nothing” featuring Stephanie Mills has a bit of a disco feel in the hook and is definitely out of place.

DMX has shown time and time again he is at his best when it’s just him and a phat beat.

Ending out the album with a trademark prayer and the religious song “A Minute For Your Son” is rather effective. In the track he raps, “You got a minute for you son Father/ I need to talk/ I’m so tired of trying to run Father/ Lets take a walk/ I’m so sorry for what I’ve done Father/ It ain’t my fault/ But the devil’s been on my back lately/ He’s like a hawk.”

Grrrrr. Ruff.

Hell yeah.

-Kyle Moss

Widely known for its hardcore roster, Victory Records is baffling with its latest release by South Bend, Ind. emo-punks Student Rick.

While labelmates Earth Crisis scream about straight edge, Student Rick dives into the confusing topic of relationships. Even though it may not be original subject matter, what else do these high-schoolers have to worry about at their age? It’s only when you are pushing 30 and singing about high school (a la Blink-182) that there is cause for concern.

Even at their young ages, the members of SR bring something new to a floundering genre of music.

While “Monday Morning” and “Yesterday” seem heavily influenced by today’s pop-punk, these youngsters amazingly have a sound of their own.

Songs such as “A Child’s Cry” and “South of Blackford” lace piano and strings into somber, clean guitar riffs that give Student Rick a bubble-gum-like pop sound gone sad, and vocalists Brett Jones and Adam Reiter’s voices only add to the feel.

“Meet You Halfway There” has the feel of a generic emo ballad, but its tremendous vocals and intriguing piano line are a step above the rest.

While Victory will always be known for its hardcore acts, bands like Catch 22 and Student Rick show that the label won’t hesitate to pick up some of the best ska and punk, too.

-Dewayne Hankins