Regents call for 18.5 percent tuition increase

Rebecca Cooper

The Board of Regents announced its recommendation for an 18.5 percent tuition increase for the 2002-2003 academic year Wednesday.

The recommendation incorporates a 9.5 percent adjusted inflationary increase and a 9 percent increase for quality improvement. The board also is considering increasing financial aid in proportion to tuition to assure access for students.

“It’s a pretty substantial increase, but we’re in some pretty difficult times, especially since the recent budget cuts,” said Regent David Fisher from Des Moines. “It will have a major impact on students. There will be a great deal of discussion and debate among the board, I’m sure, as to where the final numbers will fall.”

In the sixth consecutive year of enrollment increases at all three regent universities, Iowa State has an all-time high enrollment of 27,823 students this academic year.

“I think it’s possible that it could affect the number of students, but it depends on what economic actions other universities around the country take,” said Regent David Neil, from La Porte City. “It’s going to be a hardship, and there’s no doubt it will increase student debt. Due to the shortcomings of the Legislature, this was the hand we were dealt. If students are determined to get a quality education, then Iowa State will still be somewhere they can afford.”

Andy Tofilon, Government of the Student Body president, said he is worried students will leave Iowa State because of the proposed increase of about $600 for in-state students and about $2,000 for out-of-state students.

“Right now, we’re affordable – and if this goes through, we’re waltzing right over that line with a carefree attitude,” he said. “People will have to leave Iowa State to attend community colleges and other universities. The regents need to look at the universities’ and the students’ budgets. They are not taking all of the variables into consideration.”

GSB has been talking to regents, administrators, faculty, staff and students about the proposal, Tofilon said.

“This tuition increase will not stand,” he said. “The regents need to understand there are student faces behind the numbers. There will be catastrophic things that will happen if this goes through. People on the verge of accomplishing their dreams of graduating college may fall short because of this.”

Tofilon said Geoffroy’s office suggested a 15.5 percent increase to the regents.

“The regents’ proposal is three points too high, and I don’t think they understand the ramifications of this,” he said. “We’re shocked. We knew it would be high, but this is too high and will have devastating effects. It doesn’t make sense, and it’s not justified.”

The Board of Regents will discuss the proposal at its October meeting in Ames, but it will not take action until November in Iowa City. Law requires that the board discuss recommendations at least 30 days prior to taking any action.

“I would like to personally invite each and every student to come to the board’s meeting next week,” Tofilon said. “We really need to make a major effort to talk to the regents next Wednesday and Thursday.”