Ag Ambassadors work on getting more students involved

Matthew Lischer

The Ag Ambassadors, a program that provides agriculture students with the opportunity to help

bring and keep students at Iowa State, is trying to increase its involvement this year, group leaders

said.

The program, which allows ambassadors to do everything from recruiting new students to

interacting with alumni, has been going through a series of changes, said Paula Teig, adviser for Ag

Ambassadors.

The group looked at how ambassador programs at other land-grant universities were set up, and it

established a similar program, said Teig, graduate student in agricultural education and studies.

“We are following Kansas State’s setup,” she said. “We want to get to that level of

involvement.”

That involvement includes participation on one of more than half a dozen committees in the group.

Students who are chosen to be Ag Ambassadors will serve on committees as one of the

requirements, said Holly Kasperbauer, co-CEO of Ag Ambassadors.

“We want everyone to attend all of the meetings, be a member of a committee and go on high

school recruitment trips,” said Kasperbauer, sophomore in agricultural education and horticulture.

The Ag Ambassadors go to college fairs to recruit students for the College of Agriculture. This is an

opportunity for high school students to ask questions and learn more about the ISU College of

Agriculture, said Carolyn Halverson, co-recruitment chairwoman.

“We answer [high school students’] questions and have them fill out an information card,” said

Halverson, junior in agricultural business.

“We then send them more information in the specific area of interest to them.”

Other students team up with the college dean to meet with constituents, give tours and interact with

alumni and donors, Teig said.

The Ag Ambassadors work with Experience Iowa State coordinators and give tours to potential

students.

These tours are specific to the College of Agriculture, Kasperbauer said.

“Our goal in the next year is to be more involved,” she said. “This year is our pilot year and will set

what goes on [with the group] in the future.”

Students interested in becoming an Ag Ambassador should contact co-CEOs Holly Kasperbauer

at 956-7715 and Mike Taylor at 292-3880 or adviser Paula Teig at 294-4548.