Student counseling offers group therapy

Sherkiya Wedgeworth

To help students cope with the academic and social stress of college life, Student Counseling Services offers student therapy in a group setting.

The group sessions cover issues such as eating disorders, self-esteem, alcohol abuse, sexuality concerns, relationship programs, depression and career exploration, said Dr. Suzanne Zilber, staff psychologist.

“The purpose of the groups is to provide a place where people can get support from people who are going through similar issues,” she said. “They also learn interpersonal skills and build self-esteem.”

If students are interested in attending one of the group sessions, they must first arrange a 30-minute screening interview, in which their goals and expectations are discussed to determine if their specific needs will be met by a particular group.

Dr. Marty Martinez, staff psychologist, said students should take advantage of the group counseling.

“Group counseling is one of the most effective types of counseling for college students, because you’re getting help from your peers as well as the counselors,” he said.

Martinez said his research suggests people develop confidence and trust in the group setting.

“Most students prefer the individual counseling because of the confidentiality concerns and for the one-on-one help,” Martinez said. “The two main reasons why people are apprehensive about attending group sessions are also the main reasons why they enjoyed them.”

To make an appointment for a screening and to find out more about the many group sessions that are offered, call 294-1663 or visit the Student Counseling Service office on the third floor of the Student Services Building.