New group aims to increase local music scene

Ashley Crone

Local music scenesters gathered in Carver Hall Wednesday night to discuss ways to give the developing Ames music scene a much-needed boost.

Currently led by Aaron Fister, producer for the ISU4 program “Ames Music Live,” Ames Area Music Group is a new organization that is working towards making this idea a reality.

“It’s another great opportunity for people interested in local music on any level to get involved,” said Jim Schloemer, frontman for the now-defunct local band dead by Wednesday. “Everyone who cares about music can get together to discuss interests, favorite bands and find other musicians in the area to play with.”

Fister, Schloemer, Shawn Walding, lead singer of local group Far Cry, Pat Fleming and Aaron Hefley of BiFi Records, and Paul Friemel of 2nd Best were among those who attended.

AAMG aims to accomplish three specific goals, Fister said.

First, the group wants to expose students to local music, which involves setting up concerts on campus and finding groups to sponsor musical events. The second goal is to connect musicians with others who want to form bands and to help already-formed bands find replacement players. Finally, the group hopes to spread awareness by promoting other concerts in the Ames or Des Moines area.

Because they now are an official group, they have the authority to set up meetings or events in many rooms on campus without any charge. This opens up the possibility of free concerts in the Memorial Union.

They are also discussing holding concerts in grassy areas outside dorms such as Richardson Court Association and Towers Residence Association, possibly sponsored by residence hall associations.

AAMG plans to start a list of bands and players, allowing them to easily find and contact each other. Members would also be able to find small practice rooms for rehearsals.

However, AAMG faces some obstacles. Event planning must begin a month in advance. Putting on concerts requires approval from four or five sources, including the Department of Public Safety, Fister said.

AAMG hopes to gain support from the Student Union Board, and it is also looking into possibly holding concerts at the Maintenance Shop. However, the cost of renting equipment would be a factor.

The members of AAMG have also been researching ideas such as mass e-mail lists, StrangeTalk lists and message boards to find other musicians or a monthly newsletter for advertisement and promotion.

They are looking to involve local businesses, such as Rieman Music, for sponsorship. Another idea for fund raising is a possible compilation album composed of local artists.

The group is also looking for suggestions in making the group successful. Besides local musicians, AAMG is looking for people to help promotion by handing out fliers and CDs and setting up Web sites. Anyone interested in becoming involved with local music can e-mail Fister at [email protected]. or “Ames Music Live” Web site, www.amesmusiclive.com/aamg.

“Ames is lacking organization in its music scene,” Schloemer said. “It’s just starting to develop, but there’s not a single source to reference right now. Ames Area Music Group is hoping to be a one stop shop for Ames and area local music.”