Students use art to cope with tragedy, build unity

Jennifer Schweisberger

After the security of the nation was rocked Sept. 11, students have been searching for an outlet to pour their emotions into for comfort and support.

University Museums, in collaboration with the music, dance and theatre programs, are presenting “Coping with Contemporary Issues Through the Arts.”

“The program was created to provide an outlet for creative and constructive healing methods,” said Rachel Hampton, communication specialist for University Museums.

The University Museums’ series of programs sprung up after the attack on the nation and will continue through Nov. 15. “Coping and Healing Towards Unity,” a program currently underway, is allowing students to express their thoughts and emotions on paper. Students are encouraged to stop by Farmhouse Museum the Memorial Union, or the design building to sign a Unity Sheet. On Oct.11, all Unity Sheets will be combined to create a maze in Brunnier Museum.

Hampton said many students are writing quotes, poems, songs and other expressions of emotion on the sheets.

“I am very impressed to see that kind of emotion from the students,” she said.

In addition to the Unity Sheets, an Open Mic Night will be 7 p.m. at Brunnier tonight for every expression of art. The museum also is clearing the Christian Petersen sculptures to allow student artwork related to the tragedy to be displayed for the rest of the semester.

“It is a completely empty space waiting to be shaped and formed by the students,” Hampton said.

The complete schedule of University Museums events can be found at the Web site, www.museums.iastate.edu.

The members of the theater department also are becoming involved with the event by hosting the “Threnody for Tuesday,” in which students will be able to draw pictures, sign, date or write the name of a victim or loved one on pieces of fabric. The pieces will eventually be stitched together.

“Heroes Among Us” will also be presented by the ISU Theater department at 7:30 p.m., Dec. 7, 8, 14, and 15, and at 2 p.m. Dec. 9 and 16.

“Heroes Among Us” is a story of 11 Iowa men and one Iowa woman in World War II and is shown in commemoration of the 60th anniversary of Pearl Harbor. It focuses on how “the Greatest Generation” coped with tragedy and war.

Mark Laycock, assistant professor of music, said the music department is hosting “Music for America,” which will be presented by the ISU Symphony Orchestra.

The program will be at 3 p.m. Nov. 4, in Stephens Auditorium and will feature faculty members as soloists.

“This was the students’ idea,” Laycock said. “They wanted a way to show support and to get involved.”

Tickets for the event will be $5 for adults and $3 for students with all proceeds benefiting the American Red Cross.

The program will feature a variety of American music with opportunities for the audience to sing along to “The Star Spangled Banner” and “America the Beautiful.”

Laycock said the theatre department also will be involved with the program.

Linda Pisano, assistant professor of music, and Shirley Dunlap, associate professor of music, will narrate and do dramatic readings. Representatives from the American Red Cross will speak throughout the program.

“This is a great way to get involved, to do something good, and to have a good time in the process,” Laycock said.