ISU, Ames rally to help victims of Tuesday’s tragedy

Emily Arthur

ISU students and staff are trying to deal with the aftermath of Tuesday’s tragic events.

Numerous prayer services have been set up around campus and throughout the Ames community to help people deal with the tragedy that has affected many ISU students and staff.

Tim Smith, pastor at University Baptist Church, said his parish “operates under an open-door policy.”

“I’d be happy to talk with anyone who would like to,” Smith said.

Smith’s parish held a prayer service Tuesday night, and he said students started filing in 20 minutes before it started.

Almost every Ames church is either opening its sanctuary for prayer or having services to help the community cope.

“I can only speak for our church, but I’d imagine every church in town is willing to help out,” Smith said.

Missy Clemmens, senior in family and child services, said religion will play a big role in helping people mourn.

“On a religious base, you look at the United States, and they are turning to God and praying,” Clemmens said. “We need to turn to God, because He is the only one who can help us in this desperate time of need.”

The ISU Student Counseling Service is also offering its services to any students needing assistance.

The hours are expanded today through 8 p.m. and ask that anyone who needs assistance after that time to call the Richmond Center Hotline at 232-5811 or the Dean of Students Office at 231-6483.

“We understand people may be impacted, directly or indirectly,” said Terry Mason, director of Student Counseling Service. “I think any time a tragedy of this magnitude occurs it can affect everybody. Students may be very hurt or very angry, and we want someone at the counseling service to be there for them.”

Mason said that coming together in this time of tragedy is important to the entire ISU community.

“Because it was a tragedy of such magnitude, people are shocked,” Mason said. “The most important thing is [to have] people to talk about this. We need to come together as a community.”

The American Red Cross in Ames has also been offering its assistance wherever it’s needed.

Ron Matthews, director of the American Red Cross of Ames, said the organization is taking “welfare inquiries from families, friends and anyone else this tragedy has affected.”

“Our main role right now is to coach and counsel those who are having a hard time,” Matthews said. “What we’re doing right now is taking requests and then seeing what can be done.”

Matthews said his staff is doing everything it can here in Iowa, as well as in areas around the country.

“We actually have a staff member, Dorris Guy, at Mount Weather, [Va.], right now,” Matthews said.

“Mount Weather is where they transferred some of the people who were in the White House. The president wasn’t there, but many cabinet members and families were.”

Matthews said Guy was at Mount Weather to participate in terrorism response training. Her group was expecting to be moved Tuesday, but was kept on as a result of the attacks.

Tuesday’s events have also raised the question of how students can help.

John Elliott, supervisor of the Ames blood bank located at Mary Greeley Medical Center, 1111 Duff Ave., said anyone who would like to donate should call 239-6939 to set up an appointment.

“If students want to donate, tell them to just give us a call,” Elliott said. “As much as we need donations right now, we’ll need them just as much in the next couple of weeks.”

Elliott said more than enough people have stepped up to do their part in helping with this crisis.

“Right now, we have more than enough people willing to donate, but we can always use more,” he said.

Ayrel Clark contributed to this story.