Exchange students pay ISU prices at other schools

It’s not every student who can go to an out-of-state school for in-state tuition.

Some ISU students are preparing to embark into the unknown regions of Alaska, California or Maine as part of the National Student Exchange program.

Anne Clark, sophomore in English, will study at Utah State next fall.

“They have an excellent deaf and hard-hearing education program that I’ll be in,” she said. “I would actually like to teach theater in a deaf school.”

Clark said she found out about the exchange program through her roommate, who went on an international exchange.

She said she started checking into schools before Christmas break. “I was ahead of everybody else in researching my schools,” she said.

There are two options that are offered to students who participate in the program, said Debra Sanborn, NSE program coordinator.

The first option is to pay Iowa State’s tuition and the host school’s room and board. The other option includes payment of the host school’s in-state tuition and room and board.

“Most students pay tuition here,” she said. “They just pay room and board at their host state.”

Some students enjoy the school they visit through the exchange program so much that they decide to continue studying there, Sanborn said.

“We’ve had a huge number of students who have come here on exchange and then transferred here,” she said. “We usually bring in 12 to 20 students on an annual basis.”

Bill Roller, junior in agricultural education, said he participated in the exchange spring 2000 at University of Wyoming.

He said he chose Wyoming because of the atmosphere, and he had been there several times while selling horses with his dad.

“I like the mountains,” he said. “I kind of got addicted to them.”

While he was there on exchange, Roller said he had the opportunity to meet new people and expand his horizons.

“Everybody that was on the floor that I lived on was in the exchange program,” he said. “You’ve got 30 people that are in the system but aren’t part of the system. Things get crazy real fast.”