Music Hall hosts former faculty pianist

Jennifer Schweisberger

Iowa State is welcoming back a former faculty member in a celebration of music Sunday at 7:30 p.m. in the Martha-Ellen Tye Recital Hall.

Portuguese pianist and former piano faculty member Alexandra Mascolo-David will be presenting music by Portuguese composer Antonio Fragoso, Ludwig van Beethoven, Frederic Chopin and Brazilian composer Francisco Mignone.

Paula Forrest, temporary music instructor at the university, said Brazilian and Portuguese classical music is rarely heard, but that it is sophisticated and almost seductive.

“Alexandra is an excellent performer, and that is why we were so excited to have her,” Forrest said.

Mascolo-David was a member of the ISU faculty from 1993 to 1995. She recently released a compact disc of Mignone’s “Valsas Brasileiras” (Brazilian Waltzes).

“This is the only recording of the waltzes ever done outside of Brazil,” Mascolo-David said. “They are important pieces of piano repertoire.”

Mascolo-David recorded the waltzes with the complete support of Mignone’s widow, whom she met in Brazil. According to Mascolo-David, most of the pieces were unpublished, and Mignone’s widow gave her manuscripts of the composer’s music.

“This is my life’s goal,” Mascolo-David said. “It is very exciting to promote new music. It is equally important to introduce new music as it is to continue playing Beethoven and Chopin.”

Mascolo-David, who now teaches at Central Michigan University, will be presenting a master’s piano class in addition to her performance.

The class, which will be at 10 a.m. on Saturday in the Martha-Ellen Tye Recital Hall, is designed for area high-school and college students to improve upon their performances. Students have already prepared pieces three to four minutes long.

According to Stephen Willson, professor of mathematics, the master’s class gives the audience an opportunity to gain a sense of Mascolo-David’s personality and how she interacts with students. The master’s class, which is sponsored by the ISU music department, will be open to the public free of charge.

Forrest said a lot of people remember Mascolo-David and are excited to have her back.

“It is a real pleasure to come back and see friends and colleagues,” Mascolo-David said.

“It is always nice when someone was here locally, left and made it big, then comes back,” Willson said.

Tickets are $20 and will be available at the door or from Rieman’s Music, Big Table Books, and the ISU music department office. Students will be admitted free with ID, and free student tickets are available at the same locations.