Awards reveal ISU9’s future

Jennifer Schweisberger

An award is a reflection of a job well-done, a sign that something is going right. For ISU9, three awards are signs that the future of the station has arrived.

The student-run station was honored in three categories March 29 as part of the first Iowa State University Short Film Festival Competition. The films had been shown on various programs on ISU9 prior to the festival. Compared to the station’s past as a message board, ISU9’s new programming and staff have taken the station to a new level.

“This is a good sign that maybe we’re doing something right,” said Andy Langager, graduate student in journalism and mass communication.

“There is a lot of really exciting stuff going on at ISU9. The film festival was a good opportunity for recognition,” added Jen Spencer, senior in journalism and mass communication and general manager of the station. “The quality of work we have is not commonly seen in student productions.”

“Stirred” is a computer animation designed by Justin Hare and Trent Grover, both seniors in computer science and Chad Jacobsen, junior in journalism and mass communication. The animation was named “Best Overall Entry” of the festival.

The animation had been shown on “Animation De Facto,” a program that showcases independently produced animation from around the world. It is a two-and-a-half-minute animation that depicts a dark and stormy night at the Molecular Biology building. As the storm rages, the building and its statues come to life.

“It was such a big surprise,” Hare said. “There are not a lot of other people that do computer animation so it’s hard to find something to compare it to.”

Grover said that he thought there might have been a bias toward “Stirred” because it was the only film out of the 20 entries that had anything to do with Iowa State but he was still satisfied with their win.

“Pyramid,” an animation that was featured in the Quickies category due to its shorter length, was given first place. The film was submitted by Ben Vance, senior in computer science, but it was actually a team animation that had been created for a class. The animation was a conceptual view of different ways of seeing a pyramid. It had been shown on “Oxymorons,” an ISU9 production of sketch comedy.

“There is nothing to advocate student-produced films on this campus, so the festival was a good experience for it,” Vance said.

Another “Oxymorons” production was also named a winner. “Ten Characters of Life” was named second place in the Features category, which showcased 10 films that ran longer than 90 seconds in length.

“Ten Characters of Life” is a spoof on “artsy, foreign films,” according to Langager, who directed the film. Dustin McDonough, junior in journalism and mass communication, and Aaron Siskow, senior in journalism and mass communication, joined Langager as producers for the feature.

Langager said that he was surprised about the number of good entries.

“There was a lot of good competition,” Langager said. “There were a lot that didn’t get any awards.”

Because ISU9 segments had so much success at the film festival, which was the first of its kind on campus, Hare is looking to see an improved image for the station.

“People have an old image of the station,” Hare said. “The quality of the programming has improved and it’s nice to see people getting credit for their work.”

Those who participated in the film festival are looking forward to a continuing tradition and an increase in the number of entries that showcase student film and animation production on campus.

“I’d do it again,” Vance said. “Definitely.”

One opportunity the festival provided was a chance to exhibit work that had been done for a class. Many of the animations that were entered were submitted for projects.

“Anything that showcases student work or the possibilities students have is great,” Spencer said.