Design Council builds food Cyclone

The Design Council will have something new to offer at its Veishea open house this weekend.

Council members, students and the general public were all invited to participate in the construction of a replica of Cy in the Atrium of the College of Design, said Amy Lincoln, Design Council treasurer. The event took place from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Thursday.

Materials for the project consisted of non-perishable food items, said Lincoln, senior in interior design, which were collected jointly this week by the Design Council and Alpha Phi Omega.

“This was a concoction to get us into Veishea again,” said Sharon O’Halloran, Design Council president. “It had been several years since we participated.”

Lincoln said the actual size of Cy would not be known until the structure was complete, since they have collected over 800 food items.

Although council members will be primarily working on the structure, anyone could enjoy the finished product.

“It’s easy access for the public, and visible to students in the building,” Lincoln said. “A lot of organizations have displays on central campus. Ours just happens to be here.”

Mike Fries, vice president of the Design Council, said the location was convenient for students, and onlookers have even helped with construction.

“Everyone has classes and studios, so we have people drop down during breaks,” he said. “We also have had people stand on the balconies, helping us proportion things.”

The construction of Cy was designed by using an image on a University Book Store sack. Fries, senior in architecture, said every item would be used to towards the construction.

“Of course,” he said, “I’ll find a spot for it.”

Lincoln said the food will be donated to a local food pantry after the Veishea open house, which Alpha Phi Omega will choose.

“It’s a nice charity to get involved with,” said O’Halloran, junior in interior design.

The council has not organized an event like this for Veishea before, but Lincoln said she would like to do it again in the future.

“I’d like to get more involvement,” she said.