Award-winning architect speaks at ISU

Kocimski Auditorium was overflowing Wednesday as members of the ISU community waited to listen to an architecture pioneer.

Michael Graves was honored with the 2001 Gold Medal, which is considered the highest honor in architecture an individual can receive, said Calvin Lewis, professor and chairman of architecture.

“It is for the influence his ideas have had on modern architecture, more than his actual work,” he said of Graves’ award.

Graves is the founding principal of Michael Graves and Associates, an architecture firm in Princeton, N.J., and a professor of architecture at Princeton University.

After being introduced in the College of Design, Graves began by showing slides of two paintings, and asking the audience to observe their details. “He has a belief system that goes into his architecture,” Lewis said.

Graves uses a humanistic approach, which is representational of his clients and their culture, he said.

His work includes the Denver Central Library, the World Trade Exchange Center in Metro Manila, Philippines, and the Hyatt Regency Hotel and Office Building in Fukuoka, Japan.

Graves showed his own house as the last slide and reiterated his theory of incorporating a human element into architecture, as well as other things in life. “I do think it’s crucial in society that we start to make connections in society with each other,” he said.

Lewis, who has known Graves since 1978, said he believes in making an impact with design.

“The more people who understand the impact of design, the more they will demand it,” Lewis said.

Before the lecture, Graves sat down with about 100 students in the Atrium to answer questions and have a discussion, Lewis said.

“I’m really pleased that someone of his stature could come to Iowa State,” said Sara Geiken, junior in mechanical engineering.

When Graves was at Iowa State in 1978, Lewis said his designs were controversial.

“Some of the professors actually wouldn’t let their students out of class to go to the lecture,” he said. “He was kind of the poster boy for post-modern architecture.”