FMLA sleeps out for equality

ISU students slept out on central campus under the stars for a second year in a row during a sleep out hosted by the Feminist Majority Leadership Alliance Thursday night by the Campanile.

All ISU students were welcome to the event supporting and promoting diversity and equality for all people. About 20 students attended, including representatives from the ISU Greens, American Civil Liberties Union at Iowa State and the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Ally Alliance.

“We all come from different backgrounds, but we can get along just fine,” said Al Korslund, senior in journalism and mass communication.

The sleep out started with a regular meeting for the Feminist Majority Leadership Alliance in the Margaret Sloss House at 7 p.m. and moved to the grounds south of the Campanile, where students set up tents and played music.

Ross Helgevold, FMLA treasurer, said a number of students went chalking on campus to promote equality and send happy messages to students.

Various phrases such as “Love your neighbor,” “Celebrate Diversity,” “How are you feeling today?” “I love you,” and “Calculus isn’t so bad,” were spread out on the sidewalk from Curtiss Hall to Beardshear, said Abby Hansen, FMLA president.

“We thought about people always chalking to protest something, and we just wanted everyone to feel good and spread happy vibes over campus,” she said.

Helgevold, sophomore in electrical engineering, said the evening was not just about promoting equality or diversity but also having a lot of fun.

The group sat around and talked about various topics, including equality and school, and told a couple of jokes while drinking hot chocolate and playing Frisbee.

“We just spent time supporting equality and diversity, plus it was a great time,” said Hansen, junior in women’s studies. “I think it was excellent because we had such an awesome turnout.”

Last year’s FMLA sleep out was a damp one, as students squished together under the Campanile to stay warm and dry as it rained.

Thursday’s weather was cloudy with no rain, but during the night temperatures dropped below freezing and some students woke up in the morning with frost and ice on their sleeping bags, said Mike Walters, sophomore in art and design.

“We had 15-minute naps throughout the night because of the bell ringing, but it was fun,” Helgevold said.

Hansen said the night was a success because the group had a lot of fun and a good time.

“We want to make this an annual event,” she said.