Practicum gives students experience

Iowa State’s graphic design students have a unique opportunity to further develop their skills for future jobs.

Graphic Design Practicum allows a select group of students to interact with clients, both in and out of the community, on real projects, said Debra Satterfield, assistant professor of art and design and instructor for the class.

“They learn how to interact with and listen to clients,” she said. “The students can pick which projects they want to work on.”

12 students are taking the class this semester and have 11 clients with a wide range of projects, she said. Some of these include re-designing the ISUCard, creating a logo for the ISU Lacrosse team and designing T-shirts for the Early Outreach Program at Iowa State.

“[Iowa State] had a professional firm try [redesigning the card], but they felt it didn’t reach the target audience,” Satterfield said.

Ames Electronic Village is an Ames business which also benefits from the class, she said.

“They’re a local firm that is hosting information about Ames businesses and events,” Satterfield said. “We’re designing electronic postcards for them.”

The postcards, when completed, are saved as electronic files to be posted on the firm’s Web site, she said.

The class is also working on a project for the Corinthian Baptist Church in Des Moines. The church wanted a Web site which promotes community and church events and helps members become more comfortable with using technology.

The students, who are juniors and seniors, are highly screened for the class, Satterfield said.

“You’re admitted to it by portfolio,” said John Crosby, senior in graphic design and a student in the class.

Once a student submits a portfolio, he said the students who took the class the semester before select who will be admitted into the class.

“We’re about to do it for the juniors next fall,” Crosby said.

The class was originally started in 1984 by Roger Baer, assistant dean and associate professor of art and design.

“Our students really lacked experience when they were graduating,” he said.

Baer said the practicum class gave them the hands-on experience they needed.

“I come from a world of practice, so I understand the experience that the students need,” he said.

Students who participate in the class are taking part in something special, Baer said. No more than 15 percent of colleges in the country offer similar classes.

“It’s not common,” he said, “but there are other universities that do this.”