Epics film series to present Griffith’s Birth of a Nation

Jennifer Schweisberger

Imagine a man dressed in a white cape and hood riding a similarly caped horse through the night holding a burning cross high above his head.

This was one of the images D.W. Griffith used to advertise “The Birth of a Nation,” an epic film that surpassed any technological advancements prior to its release date on Feb. 8, 1915. The film’s advancements have placed it in history as one of the greatest epic films of all time, but its heavy racist overtones instigated controversy from its introduction to present time.

“Birth of a Nation” is now being shown in correlation with ISU’s Student Film Festival and is scheduled to run at 7:30 tonight in Kocimsky Auditorium of the College of Design.

Jacob Furlong, senior in architecture and one of the coordinators for the Student Film Festival, said the film was chosen in part because of recommendations by faculty and students but also because of its availability.

“We wanted to show films that not everyone would rent or seek out and find,” Furlong said. “We wanted to get the film out. It’s a breakthrough in the media. Unfortunately, it has racial overtones.”

Dennis Raverty, assistant professor of art and design, agreed with Furlong.

“I have mixed feelings about the film,” Raverty said. “Undoubtedly, it is one of the greatest films introduced because of the many technical aspects to it. However, the racist overtones are outrageous.”

Raverty was asked to introduce “The Birth of a Nation” because of his expertise in African-American art and culture and his interest in early film.

“The racial content of the film is shocking and disgusting but it was the first film to introduce the close-up, fade out, flashback, cross-cutting and high angle shots,” Raverty said.

Furlong pointed out that Mark Twain’s “Huckleberry Finn” is considered controversial because of the use of derogatory terms but is still considered a classic.

Furlong is expecting a larger number of students and faculty to attend “The Birth of a Nation” because of the controversy accompanying it. He said he would not be surprised if a large number of African-American students were to attend.

Raverty said he hopes a large black audience attends because although “it will be disturbing, it will show the history of racism and will demonstrate the power of film as a propagandist.”

Robert Price, president of the Black Student Alliance, said he foresees a large number of students attending as well.

“The film is historical,” Price said. “You need to look at the time of the film in relation to the controversy.”

“Film is such a powerful media,” Furlong added. “Anything powerful has good and bad connotations with it, and you have to take the good with the bad.”

The Epics film series will run every Thursday at 7:30 p.m. through April 19, with the exception of “The Birth of a Nation,” which will air on Friday. Upcoming films include “8 1/2,” “Underground” and “The Fountainhead.” March 29, the Student Film Exhibition will be held in place of an epic film. More information about the Epic Film Series or the Student Film Festival can be found at www.arch.iastate.edu.