Ag students compete for best butt

Megan Mcconnell

The College of Agriculture is showing off Iowa agriculture and Iowa State this week as they host the annual conference of Western Association of Agriculture Councils.

Visiting students arrived in Des Moines Wednesday and spent their first night participating in a College of Agriculture tradition, the Best Butts Contest held at Hunky Dory’s Nightclub.

“Dale Friedrichsen, president of Ag Council, and I are doing a Britney Spears/school girl deal,” said Kara Ladlie, senior in agricultural education. “I had to go buy Dale a skirt at Goodwill [Wednesday].”

The Dairy Science Club sponsored the contest, which is open to all student clubs. A male and female represent each club in the contest.

“The money we raise from the contest will be given to the WAAC committee and a portion will be donated to a non-profit organization,” said Carrie Kunde, junior in child and family services.

Winners of the 2001 Best Butts Contest were David Mayou, sophomore in agricultural education, and Sara Ellingson, junior in public service and administration in agriculture. Mayou and Ellingson were both representing the Block and Bridle Club.

A total of 85 students came to Iowa for the five-day conference. Students toured five agriculture sites Thursday, around the state, and they are on campus today to learn more about the ISU College of Agriculture.

Phil Emmott, freshman from the University of Guelph, Ontario, Canada, said 11 people came from the University of Guelph, which is the largest agriculture school in Ontario. “We’re here to learn about leadership and represent our country,” he said. “We hope to learn about more about agriculture and apply that to our own work.”