British rocker talks about Eminem and the U.K. press

Jennifer Hensley

If Eminem is covered at all by American newspapers, the stories will most likely be buried deep in the arts and entertainment section. On the other hand, the controversial rapper has frequently been plastered on the front page of papers in the U.K., where journalists are almost guaranteed attention because of their sensationalistic Eminem bashing.

This provided the subject of a lecture by British musician and producer David Latreille titled “Eminem in England: The Ethics of British Journalism.”

Latreille suspects that many journalists in Britain “want to be famous and don’t really care about the music.” Many bands share the same views, and it appears to be a cycle that benefits both writers and musicians. However, those who are true to their music often find journalists uninterested because they aren’t guaranteed a big story.

“The longer this goes on, the worse it gets,” Latreille said.

He did give some credit to music magazines, saying that magazines such as Mojo and Q Magazine aren’t doing the same careless writing found in many newspapers and tabloids.

“I am curious how many journalists listen to [Eminem],” Latreille said. “How many know the music or really have an opinion?”

One British newspaper, the Observer, placed an article warning of the societal dangers of Eminem music on the left column of the front page and an article about the brutal killing and dismembering of a 21-year-old girl on the right.

The page had two photographs – one of Eminem wearing a hockey mask looking similar to Jason from “Friday the 13th” and the other a gruesome picture of the girl.

Great Britain almost cancelled Eminem’s shows after another incident at a Manchester concert. During the performance, Eminem told the audience of mostly young girls that he was on ecstasy and encouraged them to take the drug. The crowd shouted back, to the media’s astonishment, that they were also taking ecstasy.

The incident only fanned the flames of the media’s Eminem-bashing frenzy, which in turn increased Eminem’s publicity.

Latreille said that coverage like Eminem’s used to be only in the tabloids. With all the attention, Eminem’s albums continue to sell and win awards.

“Rock and rap are big in the U.K.,” Latreille said. “Limp Bizkit is huge.”

Latreille went on to explain that “Limp Bizkit’s music has the same amount of `fucks’ and `shits’ in it,” but Eminem is reported as more controversial because he is more shocking.

Latreille admits that swearing like a drunken sailor serves a purpose in the music and that the album would not be the same without it. He feels a connection with the music and finds Eminem to be a release when he is angry.

“I’m going to have to be honest, I think that it is a very good record,” Latreille said. “I do think that he is a very clever man because he writes about the industry that he is in and he writes about it with humor.”

According to Latreille, more media attention was given to Eminem by British journalists a few weeks ago when a 14-year-old girl killed herself and left a suicide note with Eminem lyrics on it.

Latreille doesn’t agree with placing the blame for her suicide on Eminem and his music.

“I don’t believe music will make people do something they weren’t already going to do,” Latreille said.

Latreille also noted that in one article a 16-year-old girl at an Eminem concert told a concerned reporter that the violent lyrics aren’t a factor because the audience doesn’t really consider the words.

Stuart agreed and told of his 13-year-old daughter that brought him her Eminem CD to listen to.

“She says she likes it, but she doesn’t really listen to it,” Stuart said.

Other examples of media music coverage, such as the promotional success of a Monkees-like group called Here Say, frustrate the serious 29-year-old musician and his new band Jack and Danny.

With constant media coverage, Here Say sold over 1 million copies of their first single in Britain which Latreille says is “unheard of.”

Latreille has shared his knowledge about writing, being a studio engineer, musician, and directing pop promos with music professor David Stuart’s history of British rock and roll study abroad class for the past two summers in London.

Stuart said that Latreille took students into a recording studio where he had recorded a 24-track tape and let students sit at the board and mix the music. He then burned a CD of what they created to take with them.

“I think it’s been a really good experience for them, getting to see something from the inside and from a different perspective,” Stuart said.

Jesse Stensby, sophomore in advertising and Committee on Lectures member, said that Latreille opened his eyes to how shock value can either be real or used to sell records. He is convinced that the music would not be so popular without the swearing.

“The vulgarity gives the teeny-boppers something to rebel with,” Stensby said. “Without vulgarity it’s too intelligent and insightful for the average teeny-bopper to get into.”