Greek houses, RCA team up to build float

Lisa M. Kollasch

A non-traditional pairing of greek and residence hall students is bridging the gap – real or imagined – between the two groups, giving new meaning to “Creating Cyclone Unity,” the theme of Veishea 2001.

Residents of the Richardson Court Association have joined the 70 men of Phi Delta Theta fraternity, 2035 Sunset Dr., and 81 women of Chi Omega sorority, 227 Gray Ave., in a Veishea float pairing, the first ever of its kind.

Andy Walling, RCA president, said campus unification at major events, such as Veishea, came up last semester during a Government of the Student Body executive council meeting, comprised of the presidents of campus organizations. Walling proposed the pairing, and the Interfraternity Council and Panhellenic Council presidents took the idea to their individual meetings. Due to its history as a long-standing greek tradition, the idea received mixed responses, but Phi Delta Theta volunteered for the pairing.

“This pairing will help students not only become active in a university-wide event, it is a chance for residents to be a part of something bigger than themselves,” said Walling, junior in pre-business.

Traditionally, the float pairing is established after a fraternity serenades a sorority and is either accepted or rejected. The pairing usually consists of two fraternities – one large and one small – and a sorority.

Walling and RCA resident, Jennie Kingery, are co-chairing efforts within the residence halls, and have compiled a list of 60 interested students since the idea was first discussed at an RCA assembly meeting last fall.

The RCA assembly, comprised of the vice presidents of the RCA’s 57 floors, approved $2,000 in funding for the project Jan. 22, said Kingery, junior in biology.

Money from the RCA budget is generated through annual resident dues, Walling said. Members of Phi Delta Theta and Chi Omega have sent out letters to parents and businesses to solicit sponsorship for the float.

Walling said one of his main goals since taking office was to provide an opportunity for involvement for students who have never really been included in the campus-wide celebration of Veishea.

He said many residence-hall students leave town during Veishea because of the alcohol policy.

While he can’t expect all of RCA’s 3,100 residents to show interest in the project, he does hope this cooperative effort will give students an opportunity to participate in more Veishea activities.

“Anyone from the Department of Residence is more than welcome to work on the float,” Walling said. “We don’t want to deny anyone of this opportunity.”

Adam Lane, Phi Delta Theta co-chair, said the initial construction of the float was done by members of Phi Delta Theta before and during spring break.

Walling said the float is built on a chassis, the metal undercarriage of a motorized vehicle. The chassis is about 30 feet long, and the float may only be 16 feet wide and 14 feet tall from the wheel base.

Members of RCA visited the fraternity a couple of times before break, Walling said, but the main push started last week.

Lane, senior in elementary education, said the remainder of the float-building activities include painting, sewing, welding, carving and chicken wiring. Construction will continue through 3 a.m. Saturday, April 21, he said.

“By working side-by-side, we hope that both greeks and non-greeks rid themselves of stereotypes by opening doors to those who are open-minded,” Lane said.

Walling said he is confident in the leadership of both groups to make the project a success.

“The organization of the greek system is what makes it strong. Greeks are shown how to be leaders, and residence hall students have to pursue it on their own,” he said. “This is a win-win situation, and RCA has a lot to gain.”

Katie Boes, Chi Omega co-chair and sophomore in journalism and mass communication, said she hopes this project will help to establish a common identity among those involved in the pairing.

While the groups have their differences, they do parallel each other in several ways said Brian Tenclinger, assistant dean of students for greek affairs.

“This is a great opportunity,” he said. “If you look at the governing structure for the greeks and residence halls, they’re the same. Both groups have school spirit, and both share the desire to participate in Veishea.”