Students help raise money for 4-H

Megan Mcconnell

ISU students are spending a few hours on the phone for 4-H clubs around the state. This month, the Iowa 4-H Foundation is calling 4-H and ISU alumni as part of their annual fund-raising effort. “Through CallAThon we make funds available to help create more opportunities for young people,” Albert Grunenwald, associate director for the Iowa 4-H Foundation.Grunenwald said the Iowa 4-H Foundation, a non-profit branch of 4-H, has a $50,000 goal for CallAThon 2001. Besides CallAThon, the Iowa 4-H Foundation conducts fund-raising campaigns with 4-H clubs across the state and seeks individual and corporate donations to contribute a total of $500,000 to the Iowa 4-H program each year. As a part of CallAThon, volunteers call Iowa 4-H alumni and friends of 4-H who have supported the organization through its various events across the state and ask them to consider giving back to the program. “Calling 4-H alumni is usually a very positive experience, and the alumni enjoy sharing stories about their involvement in 4-H,” Grunenwald said.Members of ISU student clubs volunteered to call prospective donors on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday evenings through Feb. 22. Seven students clubs comprise much of the volunteer force. The student organizations receive a stipend per hour of time donated by their members.Collegiate 4-H, a leadership and service organization for college students, plans to participate in the CallAThon. “The money we raise for Collegiate 4-H is used to help us go to our regional and national conferences. We also use the money to help us pay for fun events after our meetings — like bowling, ice cream and movies,” said Aaron Steil, treasurer for Collegiate 4-H. Steil, sophomore in horticulture, said the 30-member organization also uses funds to assist with 4-H programs in Story County. Grunenwald said 135,000 Iowa children are involved a variety of 4-H programs. “4-H is an organization that provides opportunities, skills and knowledge to help young people become successful adults,” Grunenwald said.From traditional 4-H clubs meeting on a monthly basis to after-school 4-H groups, he said the organization is reaching both urban and rural children.”We are reaching kids in urban areas such as Des Moines, Waterloo and Dubuque through our after school programs,” Grunenwald said. He said Iowa 4-H has recently added a kindergarten through third grade program to involve a greater number of students.