GSB will vote on new constituency

Steven Brittain

The Government of the Student Body will decide Wednesday night whether to recognize the Nontraditional Student Union as the official government of ISU non-traditional students.According to the senate bill authored by Greg Tew, vice speaker of the senate, the non-traditional students of Iowa State have adopted a constitution establishing the Nontraditional Student Union, which now may be recognized as an official constituency of GSB, pending senate approval.Tew said the non-traditional students would be better represented through the formation of a new registered union, even though the already-existent Older Adults Succeeding In School [OASIS] student organization was intended to become the GSB constituency to non-traditional students.”OASIS is more of an academic support group,” said Tew, off campus. “Usually, GSB likes the nature of its constituencies to be like that of a council, not of a student support group.”The issue is not that GSB can’t recognize academic support groups, Tew said. However, a precedent set by GSB has been to prefer constituencies that have been established more in the fashion of a formal government.Tew worked with Rick Cordaro, who said he is currently registered as a non-traditional student through GSB, to plan out the structure of the Nontraditional Student Union.Cordaro, senior in electrical engineering, said the new student union was created to make sure non-traditional students would have a government formed before GSB holds its elections on March 6-7. He said the new union was drawn up to be small and efficient, because there are not very many students registered as non-traditional students with GSB.However, not everyone sees the reasons behind the formation of the Nontraditional Student Union.Penny Rosenthal, director of Off-Campus and Adult Student Services, said she was surprised when she heard Tew and Cordaro were working to establish a new non-traditional student government.”I know that OASIS was in the process of trying to become the student government that Cordaro is now trying to produce,” Rosenthal said. “As far as I know, OASIS is still going to pursue this goal.”Rosenthal said she is not quite sure what intentions Tew and Cordaro have for the new union, since neither of them has the typical characteristics of a non-traditional student, which she said includes being 25 years old and living off campus.Alex Olson, speaker of the senate, said anyone can register to be in the non-traditional student constituency, as well as other specialty constituencies, and must do so six weeks before the GSB election to be able to vote under that category. Each student votes for two senators.”If their intentions are pure and they make sure that these senate seats aren’t lost to other areas, then I think that they’ll be fine,” Rosenthal said. “I just hope that the people in these seats will truly have the scope to understand what it means to be a non-traditional student, because neither Tew nor Cordaro is over 25 and I don’t think that they live off campus.”