The Octagon’s annual show compiles local, national art

Jennifer Schweisberger

A local exhibit’s small-time beginning has blossomed into a well-known event, drawing both local and national artists to the Ames community for the past three decades.The Octagon Center for the Arts is presenting its 33rd annual Clay, Fiber, Paper, Glass, Metal, Wood exhibition which opened Friday, Feb. 2 and runs through April 1.The show began as an opportunity for Iowan clay artists to exhibit their work and slowly grew to include every media type and artist from around the nation. Entries were submitted by everyone from students to professionals from places such as California and New York, said Letitia Hansen, curator.”Some people have been in the show for the past 30 years and for others, it’s their first time,” Hansen said.Boone artist Paula Striter said that she was encouraged to participate by a former teacher of hers, a show participant for the past 17 years. She said that the local presence is built upon by the continuance of mentor-student support.This year’s show contains the work of quite a few ISU professors, which Hansen said is up from years past. Jo Myers-Walker, assistant professor of art and design, said that the exhibit brings well-known artists to Ames in conjunction with the variety of local artists. “Ames has a high concentration of good artists here. There is a lot of talent in the area,” Striter added. “It’s pretty humbling.”Each year, the Octagon invites a member of the art world to act as juror for the exhibit. Elaine Levin of Northridge, Calif., was chosen after being referred by Ingrid Lilligren, an associate professor of art and design at Iowa State. Levin is an art historian and a lecturer in ceramic history and was given an honorarium gift of money for her time and expertise.”The quality of the exhibit and the juror is quite fine,” Myers-Walker said. “I was thrilled to hear her.”The exhibit is free to the public. The gallery is open Tuesdays through Thursdays from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. and Sundays from 2 to 5 p.m. The Octagon is located at 427 Douglas Ave.