ISU men’s swimmers roll to sizable wins over St. Olaf and Northern Iowa

Brad Seward

The ISU men’s swimming and diving team made a clean sweep this weekend beating St. Olaf Friday night and Northern Iowa Saturday.Iowa State cruised to a 140-94 win over St. Olaf and raced past the Panthers 139-77. Both meets were at Beyer Pool.During the weekend, the Cyclones won 20 of 26 events. The team also compiled 23 second and third place finishes over the two days.ISU head coach Trip Hedrick was very happy with his teams performance during the two meets.”We had an exceptional week of training with a lot of good intensity and carried that over into the weekend,” Hedrick said. “We posted some more incredible times that are going to be in the top 15 times in the country.”Iowa State started off well against St. Olaf. In the 200-yard medley relay, the Cyclones took the top two places. The relay team of juniors Liam Short, Aron Nakama, Billy Reese and Dylan de Bruin posted a time of 1:34.55, and just edged the relay team of seniors Peder Skoog, Henrik Ingesson, Jeremy Wilson and Jeff Gahan, who turned in a time of 1:34.78.Sophomore Danny Binkowski captured a victory by more than 27 seconds in the 1000-yard freestyle.In the 200-yard freestyle, freshman Steve Petric placed first and teammate Rob McGinty, sophomore, finished in second place.In the 50-yard freestyle the Cyclones swept the top three spots. Skoog, de Bruin and junior Doug Owen finished first, second, and third respectively.The story was about the same in the 200-yard individual medley. Freshman Mike Rigali posted a time of 1:57.59 and seized the victory. Senior Josh Nogar placed second and sophomore Mike Christianson placed third.The one-meter diving event was won by sophomore Dave Likar, and freshman Mitch Fluegel took second place honors.The Cyclones won the top three places again in the 100-yard butterfly. Skoog won with a time of 49.42 seconds. Wilson and Ingesson followed in second and third places.Sophomore Ansel Lindner raced to a win in the 100-yard freestyle and freshman Morgan Hagerman tallied second.Mike Jimenez won the 100-yard backstroke while McGinty placed third. In the 500-yard freestyle, Nogar claimed a victory and teammate freshman Jason Schneider was the runner-up in the event.The Cyclones carried the success over to the next day against Northern Iowa.The Cyclones, just as they had the night before, began the meet by taking the top two places in the 200-yard medley relay. The relay team of Short, McGinty, Skoog, and freshman Morgan Wardell won the event.The team of Nogar, Christianson, Ingesson, and Nakama got second place.Jimenez added a victory in the 1000-yard freestyle with a time of 10:18.57.The Cyclones also captured first and second place in the 200-yard freestyle. Rigali won the race with Owen placing a close second.Freshman Bram Olson claimed victory in the 50-yard freestyle with a time of 21.65 seconds, and Christianson placed third.In the 200-yard individual medley, Short earned a nearly eight second victory with a time of 1:53.79.Iowa State’s Likar garnered a win in one-meter diving. Fluegel was third.The Cyclones took first and second in the 200-yard butterfly also. Skoog won the race with a mark of 1:49.26 while Ingesson grabbed second place.The 100-yard freestyle was won by de Bruin. Olson earned second place honors.Nogar, McGinty, and Wilson worked hard for the first, second, and third place sweep respectively in the 200-yard backstroke.The Cyclones tallied first and second places in the 500-yard freestyle with Petric winning the race and Lindner taking second.Fluegel placed second in three-meter diving and was joined in the top three by Likar, who placed third.During the two days, ISU also swam in exhibition races. Most of the times were good enough to place in the top three spots in races that Iowa State did not place in.”We had some great rivalries this weekend and some very good races,” Hedrick said. “Our guys were able to push each other and push themselves the whole weekend.”The weekend also marked the end of competition in the fall semester for the team. Hedrick felt that the momentum gained from the victories is important.”Swimming this well right now will continue to give us another week good of training before we go into [semester] finals. Then we can look forward to our training trip after Christmas,” Hedrick said. “It’s always nice to end a segment of the season on a real positive note.”Iowa State will travel to Florida in late December for eight to nine days of intense training. Then the Cyclones resume action Jan. 13 when Nebraska comes to Ames.