United Way exceeds ISU goal

Anna Holland

Faculty, staff and students at Iowa State are responsible for the largest donations to the United Way of Story County in the history of the organization’s annual campaign.The ISU community pledged more than $217,200 to the annual United Way of Story County Campaign, about 101 percent of the university’s original goal of $215,000, said Frankee Oleson, executive director of the United Way of Story County.Oleson said the campaign, which began in early September, has been responsible for almost 25 percent of the money raised toward United Way of Story County’s overall goal of $900,000. Campaign volunteer Shirley Knipfel, administrative assistant for veterinary medicine, said the money will be used to support 32 human service agencies that provide various services for people in need.”We’re very, very excited we were able to surpass our original goal by such a large amount,” Knipfel said. “It’s due in large part to the faculty and staff at Iowa State.”Faculty and staff contributions amounted to about 25 percent of the total raised, she said.”We have a lot of very generous contributors that help contribute to that success,” she said. “The Iowa State community has been very, very supportive of the United Way campaign.” Oleson said the ISU community has been participating in the campaign for a number of years and that services provided by United Way are available to all citizens of Story County, including ISU students. “Iowa State faculty, staff and students are very important,” she said. “All of the money stays in Story County to help citizens, including students, faculty and staff. That’s why it’s important for ISU to make a difference.”Knipfel said Iowa State will continue to stay involved with United Way in the future. “We are very, very committed to the success of the United Way campaign each year,” she said.